Monday, June 05, 2006

Thoughts on The Giver



This past weekend I finally got around to reading "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. I'd heard about the book for a long time now (it being a quote MODERN CLASSIC). Whenever I'd see the cover, however, my interest in the book would wane. A creepy old guy and some trees? I guess I'm guilty of judging a book by it's cover. So, when my girlfriend started pushing it on me, I was reluctant. Then my mother read it on a car trip we all took. The two ganged up on me and got me to sit down and read it. I read most of it at work, on another 16 hour shift. It didn't take me long to get into the story. I was very impressed with how easy the pages went by.

Even though it's a kids book, I must admit that it was terrifying. "The Giver" is easily one of the scariest books I've ever read. The world Lowry depicts is one that is not only plausible, but one that could easily become reality in this post-9/11 world. Patriot Act anyone?

Like any good book, "The Giver" made me think about some of my own personal beliefs and ideals. I've always been a closet Communist. My argument has always been that on paper, Communism is alright by me. If you were able to remove human corruption from teh equation it would be the ideal society. Lowry's book is about a future world where society has become the perfect Communist state. There is no corruption, the system works perfectly...and boy is it scary. There is no love, passion, or art. People exist to do an assigned task, then they get old and are farmed out until the date they are put to death.

For me, the book fails on a number of key levels (the ending alone is rather pointless). But where "The Giver" stumbles isn't nearly as important as where it triumphs. The creepy, crawly feeling one gets while reading about a smiling man putting a newborn baby to death (for committing the crime of having been the lighter twin)stays with you. The book is very viceral. I'm surprised that the book hasn't been made into a film by now. I can understand why many parents and teachers would/do object to the book...after all--as a 23 year old I found the book to be troubling and disturbing. However, when I was done with the book I felt a strong desire to make sure that the world Lowry created never comes to fruition. I think that if more young adults read this book, some of the problems our country and planet are about to face (or are facing) would be eliminated. The power of science and industry to control our lives has never been greater. As humanity moves futher and further down the timeline, a smaller percentage of us become more and more powerful over the lives and fates of humanity. I have a sneaking suspicion that the cold, emotionally devoid society in "The Giver" wasn't built overnight.

3 comments:

Lrgblueeyes said...

:)

Anonymous said...

My "baby girl" Kathleen and I read this post together this morning. She's read the book and I haven't.
It's one of Kathleen's favorite of all times reads. Interestingly, she read it as a school project. Guess, now I'll have to add it to my long list of books to read.

What's the deal with colors and black & white in the book?

Terri, who is NO relation to the author of this book

Jason said...

I've met quite a few people who had to read this in school. Like I said in my post it's becoming part of the modern "canon."

In the book colors have been removed from humanity. Some how, people have been conditioned not to see color. As the protagonists perspective is widened (by absorbing memories from the Giver) he's able to see in color. It's very far fetched/strange...but you have to look at it at the symbolic level.

I never noticed the name thing with you Terri until you pointed it out...if you Google "Wendleton" or go on Amazon.com and search for authors with that name, you'll find a woman writing career-type books. I think Spencer even tried to contact her at one point, but as far as I know we're not related. She's pretty famous too, her bio talks about TODAY show appearances and the like....it's a small world after all.