- I'm reading more. Not just for class either, I've been reading at lot for pleasure too. Last semester I felt like crap for not reading more...so I started reading again (for fun) and boy did it make me feel good. I was doing really good (like two books or so a week)...but now that I'm writing my spare/free time is being used that way. I'm currently stuck in Steinbeck's TORTILLA FLAT (which I started because I thought it would be a quick read).
- I have more of an audience. My buddy Paul and I have been swapping stories, and well, having an audience has motivated me somewhat. I miss not being in a C.W. class sometimes because I used to be so prolific. I mean, I was constantly churning it out. Not always my best work, but at least I was writing.
- Contests. A couple of competitions got me back into writing, specifically the annual Wednesday Club. Even if I never win that thing, I feel like I owe it a great debt for putting a fire under my lazy ass.
- My support-system. They say behind every great man is an even greater woman...in this case I have several behind me. My eternal editor/cheerleader (mommy) and now Leah (who always has really good suggestions I'm finding). Terri and Amber have helped me too by saying some encouraging words (and in Amber's case reminding me of why I write in the first place...I hope you write your screenplay someday).
- Sly. Over the break I caught Rocky fever (the new movie was just okay)...but I read an interview with Stallone where he talked about writing the first Rocky script when he was a scrappy youth...I thought "if that guy can write something that can touch people...why not me?"
I have a few preliminary notes for my next story ("Sea Change") but I think my story a week streak is going to break. This weekend is going to be BUSY. On Friday I'm going to see The Apples In Stereo with Leah down at the Loop. Saturday is her friends birthday (and the party required by law). Sunday will be homework day/night, and I have two scary tests early next week. We'll see though, I may be able to pull off.