Sunday, March 19, 2006

Adventures and other Good Times

So we all have them...the "good old days" or in my case (since I'm not old) the "good times." For me, it was 2003. That was a damn good year. I was working at a small bookstore (i.e. free books and magazines). I liked the people I worked with. I was in the middle of my Community College career--this meant that I had shaken the first semester fears...but I hadn't gotten burned out yet. I had a steady girlfriend, who actually treated me good. I wasn't fighting with my parents. I didn't have a huge car payment. My cousin was in some of my classes, and we hung out. I was in a Creative Writing class, and was doing a lot of writing. I won a couple of writing awards. Summer at the theme park and zoo. Sitting on the back porch sun tanning.

Life was good. But did I realize it? Hell no. That's how it goes. It's not until the good times are done and over that we realize what we had (and how good it was). I used to want to go back to those times, I even tried to re-live this period of my life...but to no avail. Recently, I closed another chapter of my life...and I'm finding that I'm suffering from a bout of "good old days" syndrome. I miss my old job, my friends in KC, the money, staying up late. I was driving home from my girlfriends house tonight, and I switched on the radio. "Coast to Coast AM" was on, I'm listening to in now in my dorm room...hearing it has brought back a flood of memories.

Lately I've been missing my old life, even though I'm where I am specifically because I wanted to escape all that. I don't regret my decision, it was time to leave and end that chapter...but I still can't help but think back to the past 2 years and be a little whistful.

I'm pretty sure that right now...I'm living in another golden age. Another "good time." Part of me is glad (I like good times, after all) but part of me is sadden by this knowledge...because I know these good times have one simple rule: THEY DON'T LAST.

Now that I think about it, I've had some really interesting adventures over the past few years. The people I've met, the things I'd done and seen...it's almost too much for me sometimes. I worry sometimes I'm going to bite off more than I can chew...but thankfully that never seems to happen. Like a lot of young people (young men are really bad about this) I yearn for adventure. All the while I sit and wish for excitment and adventure to fuel my creativity, I neglect to notice that I'm smack dead in the middle of some strange, wonderful...bizarre shit. Knee deep in it.

So, being the big brother that I am...let me give anyone who bothers to read this some advice. And it's this: Don't sit and wish for what's come and gone. The "good old days" are dead and gone. At the time you were busy yearing for something else...chances are good that where you are right now is just as good (or even better). Stop and smell the roses, and enjoy the ride. ALSO, I think that adventure is around us if you take the time to open your eyes and notice it. Think about all the people you've met, the ones that touched your life...meant the world to you for a brief period of time...then parted ways with you. How many people I wonder, have I touched? Does anyone out there wonder what ever happened to that crazy kid? That crazy kid still sits. And wonders.

No comments: