Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Do we dream of the future, or do our dreams make the future?

I guess it's a bit of a paradox. You know what a paradox is, don't you? It's the chicken vs. the egg debate. It's God vs. Darwin. The "Back to the Future" movie series is chock full o' paradox (or paradoxes, what is the plural for this word?). Anyway, I think this question is really telling...the way people answer it.

Is the future preordained or can we make our own future? Me, I'm a bit of a pessimist. I think there are a couple dozen paths, individuals make a key decision and are thus set onto a certain path. So life is a "choose your own adventure" book. Remember those?

If you decide to change your major, go to page 104.
If you decided to stay a history major, to to page 13.

Those books were always fun, but no matter what I did...I always died. Back to my point, I think that over the past semester and a half I have made some key decisions. I don't know how it'll all turn out in the end, but I can tell I'm making choices that are going to have serious consequences (either good or bad I can't really tell). Part of me is sad that I'm not going to graduate with a degree that'll make me a ton of money. Then this other part of me wants to get out of school and do all sorts of risky things that probably won't make me a whole hell of a lot of money, but be really fun.

Which reminds me, this weekend I have to get back to working on my book.

No comments: