Tuesday, July 29, 2008

No, I don't want your money...

My in-laws and I are very, very different.

I guess I was just brought up with different values. Then again, maybe I'm just a freak--but I don't worship money. Seriously...I don't.

Sure, I wish I had more...

Sure, I like buying stuff (TOYS!!!)...

But for the most part, I'm not real into money. Or should I say, I don't put it above everything else. Which is why my father-in-law (to be) is having such a hard time understanding why I won't take a $1.00 pay raise.

I know, I know...I'm an idiot for turning down more money. But hear me out: Firstly, I got this raise because he wanted me to make (one penny) more than Leah (who recently got a raise) because he's old fashioned (or something). Secondly, he's laid more than a couple of people off recently because he couldn't afford to keep them on payroll (how can I accept a raise when some people are losing their jobs?). Lastly, I feel over-paid as it is...another dollar would just make me THAT MUCH MORE over-paid.

So there it is.

I'm crazy, but I'm sticking to my guns. I told him he can give me a raise (like a normal person) when I've been employed for 90 days.

7 comments:

Jason said...

Just checked my bank account, my balance is $16.42.

Having convictions suck.

Anonymous said...

applause!

I've earned more than my husband for several years running, but he prefers his TIME to money.

Anonymous said...

Just like da Joker...lightin' all that money on fire!!!

Arh!!

Jimu said...

yes but while he may have laid off the people at work.. he probably didn't lower his productivity anywhere near if you left. you are more important/not on drugs. this is worth a raise where you work..

Jason said...

Amber was that you writing about Batman?

Yikes.

Anyway, Jimu you are right I suppose...but I still wasn't comfortable with getting a raise so I'd be making more money than Leah (just to make more money than Leah). What's up with that!?

Jimu said...

true..
the reason is crappy.

but that doesn't mean you can't find your own reason.

if you find a wallet on the ground, some people would say "return it! maybe you'll get a reward"
and some would say "return it! its the right thing to do."

your reasons for returning the wallet are your own. no matter what anyone else thinks your reasons are.

Anonymous said...

Jesus, you have more money than I do at the moment.

Umm, me? I'd take the dollar. Sure, sucks to be the other folks and I'd sure feel for them but, well, ya gotta eat and your convictions won't fill your stomach.

Says the man who often puts his own convictions and beliefs above more practical things like earning money, protecting his various careers, etc.

Terri, I need to get on the same plan your husband is on. That is how Birmo has things set up but I think he earns at least parity with his spouse, who is a lawyer.

Respects,
Murph