Thursday, October 04, 2007

Life & Other Pursuits

If you know me very well, or read this blog very much...you know my own personal work ethic (when it comes to my writing). Basically--the worst things get for me, the stronger the urge to write becomes. It's terrible because it boils down to me both loving and hating "the bad times." Now, granted my world isn't collapsing right now, but things could be better for me. Lots of inner turmoil and fear about the upcoming/impending graduation (both into full-blown adulthood and from college). I'm not as engaged in my classes this semester as I know I should be. I feel bad about not having a job/being poor (but not bad enough to get a job).

Anyway, I'm writing again...

About two weeks now. What do I have to show for it? Not much I'm sad to say. I got about 20+ pages into my "story starter" project and then it tanked (wrote some really horrific/awful stuff). Then I hand wrote a (very short) little story (that was called "Alms for the Poor" but is now simply "--Of the Poor") when our power went out two weeks ago--it's not terrible... it just isn't good either. I recently posted it up on my companion blog Writings of a Limemonkey if anyone is interested...

Now I'm working on this thing, "The Mosquito Vine" and I'm only 8 pages in...but last night I was excited. For people that don't write, very rarely does one get a true sense of what you're doing as you are in the act of writing. At least, I don't. I have to put it down then pick it up and read it before I can tell if I just wasted my time or not. Well, today in Shakespeare I looked over what I got so far...and I was disappointed. I blame UNCLE TOM'S CABIN, actually (we're reading it in one of my literature classes). Dialect writing is a tricky thing, and I pretty much screwed the pooch in my attempt. Of course, I never would have tried it...except my brain sucked up Stowe's (decent) dialect like a dry sponge.

So, tonight I'm doing a total re-write. I could try to sit there in Word and make "corrections," but frankly--this re-write is so extensive it just makes more sense to start fresh in a new document (with my print out in my lap as merely a guide). THAT is what's on tap for tonight.

I miss Leah, and other than her being gone...not much is going on with me right now. My folks are coming out this weekend (to finally see the new place). Next week I have a couple of mid-terms (yikes, that time already?). The end is nigh.

No comments: