Saturday, January 10, 2009

Good LUCK

So I only have one 2009 New Year's Resolution--to read more.

To that end, I am on my third book of the New Year--Amy Tan's THE JOY LUCK CLUB. This book has been on my "to-read" list for some time now. I was sitting in one of my Lit classes a few years back, bored--and I happened upon a short piece in one of my anthologies (that I wasn't assigned to read, for some reason, all the GOOD stories are never assigned, but WHATEVER) by Amy Tan. I read it during the lecture and was hooked. When I found out it was an excerpt from a much longer work--I sought it out.

Now, me and Leah don't really "buy" books anymore. This lady-cop (doesn't that sound sexier than "policewoman?") I once worked with told me she used this website Paperbackswap.com, where you trade books (only having to pay for postage). I've mentioned this site before, but it's amazing. Why aren't you on it?

Anyway, I got my copy of THE JOY LUCK CLUB for free on Paperbackswap. So I finished Cormac McCarthy's THE ROAD and I'm SUPPOSED to read THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE...but I can't make myself start this book. I'm sorry, I just can't. It's the girly cover. It's the "Oprah Book Club"-ness of the whole thing (which is ironic, because I don't think it was on Oprah's Book List, but THE ROAD was). Anyway, I start THE JOY LUCK CLUB instead. I get into the tub (where I do my reading) and I start the water...and I open the book...and this is what I see on the title page:



Yes, it's Amy Tan's signature. So I guess I snagged a signed copy of this book, which is cool because I'm really digging it. Not the sort of thing people imagine I read, but I'm reading it. I like it.

3 comments:

Jimu said...

*grumbles incoherantly about his book getting bumped*

Jason said...

Sorry dude. Leah said she might read it...but I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to do this one.

Speaking of not reading something--have you finished WATCHMEN yet? Yeah. Didn't think so.

Jimu said...

I at least am 75% of the way through watchmen and didn't let the "cover" stop me from judging the book..

hmm... maybe that should be a saying or something...