Sunday, October 29, 2006

What is there to gain?

Ok, so I know there are valid (I guess) reasons for what happened today...but frankly I'm not buying any of them. Why, oh why, did I have to set ALL of my clocks back an hour? Nothing physically happened, it was all in our heads. The sun didn't speed up, or slow down. How freakin' arbitrary and stupid are we? First we invent this thing called "time." Then we make up all these stupid rules that only apply in certain, specific geographic areas. Did you know that not every part of the counrty recognizes Daylight Savings? Exactly. If I was mayor of a small town, or governor of a state that would be MY VERY FIRST ACT (assuming I had the power). I'd do away with Daylight Savings. So you get off of work and it's dark outside? Who cares? So little kids have to wait for the bus just before daybreak (rather than actual daybreak). So what? That's why we have electric lights. Parents should be watching their kids at the bustop anyway.

This all seems like some sort of plot. By the people who makes clocks and watches. Everytime we reset out clocks we're slowly degrading the mechanisms. More wear and tear=more money for them. By the way, I'm being sarcastic. I don't actually believe that. The reality is much simpler. The truth of the matter is, we humans want to feel like we are in the drivers seat. We want to feel powerful, in charge. The sun doesn't play by our rules. It doesn't conform to the nice, neat little lines of society. You can't organize nature, natural systems are far too complex. People don't really give time much thought. We accept it as something that's real. Like it's a force of nature...instead of merely a human invention. A function of the mind. For most animals, there is no past or future, only the present...the now. Not a bad way to live, if you think about it. Simple.

Anyway, this morning sucked. I got up, thought I was running late...then found out that I was really running early. Really, really early. Not a bad thing, I guess, just a thing. I'm not really upset by any of this, I just like to point out how artificial/superficial/fundamental this "Fall back" business really is. It's like being in a burning house and pointing out that cup of water on the table..."Look, that waters boiling."

Yeah. The forest and the trees.

No comments: