Saturday, February 18, 2006

Documenting a Dream: Part I

I started my new project today. It was easy, but not as easy as I thought it was going to be (it never is). I went to my school's library, rented a quiet room (with a view) and got to work. I sat down and for two hours (until they closed) I wrote. I filled about eight pages of story and two pages of notes. They actually had to kick me out (the guy was like "fifteen more minutes! That's it!").

Beginnings, for me, are the hardest part--today I completed that most difficult task. Now the challenge is to continue writing. This weekend was a rare one, two freak things occured--I had little homework and my girlfriend was working. I find that if I don't strike while the iron is hot the iron hardens and I lose interest. I have to plow ahead in the coming months. That's right, I said months, because that's how long the drafting process is going to be. After that, I'm looking at a month or more of editing and revision. By then (June?) I may have a first complete draft. What I'll do with that is anyone's guess (but not something I'm thinking about or really care too much about right now).

I'm not the right person to judge my work. That said, I tend to hate everything I write. Today's work wasn't terrible, but it wasn't anything special, either. I'm not worried, however--the structure of my piece means the begining will be a bit rough. I hate genre writing, but that's not what I'm doing here. I can't say what it is I'm doing...I can't tell you what I'm doing just what I'm not doing....does that make sense?

I feel like I've been given a second chance. I think this may be my last chance to do this. I'm going to be out of school, and probably married sooner than I think. When my life evolves past this last gasp of young adulthood, into adulthood....I know I won't be able to write. This is me, living my dream. Wish me luck.

No comments: