Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Documenting a Dream: Part III

"Figure of Speech"

That's what I'm thinking about calling my novel. It's about a future, Orwellian society where most people live and die without seeing what we would call the natual world. A few patches of green remain, however and it's here that a hapless peon...a cog of the world's vast machinery has a life changing experiance. I won't say much more--except that a fantastical creature is unwittingly released by my protagonist. This "creature" causes havok...and just might free mankind from itself. If only the oppressive government doesn't stop it first.

I'd say my story is 40% 1984, 20% Farenheit 451, 10% Bladerunner, and 30% Dr. Seuss. A strange mix, I know. Now, I can some people saying "Jason, what kind of monster are we talking about here?" No monster. "FANTASTICAL CREATURE" the likes of which has never been before. Not Godzilla or something stupid. It doesn't eat anybody either...(I'll give you a hint...the monster is in the title). I also think this would have made a hell of a Twilight Zone episode (black and white Rod Serling Twilight Zone...no crappy color remakes).

Confused? I'm not, though I'm only about 30 pages into the story I'm far from finished (I'd say I'm 2/3 through the story's introduction). Have I mentioned that I'm writing this all out by hand? I must say, I think this is a better method for me (one I haven't done in years). It sucks that only one copy of my manuscript exists (it could get lost, stolen, or wet)...but I find the slower handwritting process to be much better because my mind doesn't out run my hands. Sometimes when I type, I leave out/omit huge chunks of things...or I skip or shorten what I write to keep up with my thought process. Ah, if I only had that machine from Stephen King's THE TOMMYKNOCKERS...the one the narrators wife had that processed her sleep thoughts into written pages...too bad the thing was sent from hellish aliens, huh?

Anyway, I'm doing a pretty good job balancing this project and my school work. Today was the last day of the week for the bulk of my courses...so I'm about to get a great stretch of writing done. At the rate I'm going, I could be finished with this entire thing by May! Cross your fingers...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's an idea for your next novel. How about the story of a demonic house that makes various personal items of the inhabitants disappear and drives them crazy? It just keeps happening until they all go insane. I think I'm there....

Or maybe its not a demonic house but instead of portal into another dimension where the missing items just sit and wait...