Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Documenting a Dream: Part II

Well today is Tuesday, and I'm happy to report that I've cleared the first 20 pages of my new project. I have existed to call what I'm working on a novel, but at this point I can't really think of anything else to call it. The joy of writing is in full effect. The spontaneity is almost magical as this thing seems to write itself before my very eyes. That's always a good sign. I've had times when my writing was very forced and labor-intensive. I hate that, and I usually hate the finished product.

There are so many current event type things I'd love to blog about, but frankly this is just too exciting. I'm worried about my money situation right now. I need to be able to work on this thing of it to get done. As I've written in the past, I know if I even take a week off of this I could lose the drive (or whatever that spark is that's fueling me). My school for is still priority, but my free time is being devoted to this book. My girlfriend's sister is coming in from out of town this Friday, and I'm happy because other than a dinner (and maybe something else) I'm going to have the weekend alone to write. I feel a little gulity about feeling that way, but I can't really do any writing with my girl around (don't ask why...)

I have some really good news! One of my old teachers emailed me about publishing one of my short stories in another school's Literature Magazine. The story is called "The Disregarded." I guess submissions have been so low for the past two years that the magazine is in really bad shape. To re-engergize things my former teacher has decided to feature the works of alumni as well as current students. My story stayed with her and when it was time to call people for submissions she requested it specifically. This is a really big compliment. For one thing, that she would remember me is nice...but that she remembered not only the name but the plot of one of my stories is too fantastic. I guess it must have stuck with her! I'm not too optimistic about getting published in my current school's Lit Magazine (there was a lot of competition and I only submitted one poem because I didn't have any fiction short enough). I also entered a fiction contest, but I'm not holding my breath frankly. One of my English teachers read it and didn't seem very enuthisastic about it. Neither did my girlfriend.

Anyway, I'm really happy I'm going to be published again, regardless what school or where! Anything is better than nothing as I always like to say!

No comments: