Monday, February 13, 2006

High Society (A Night at the Opera)

Well Valentine's Day is nearly here...as a poor person I have to complain about holidays. The only time I ever feel poor is when it's mandatory I buy something! Ah, Capitalsim.

With that in mind, I did some working this weekend. Thursday night I went out and reviewed a restaruant. Little did I know doing so would cause me so much trouble. I emailed the photo editor about my story, requesting a photographer. Never heard back, so when me and my girlfriend went I took my digital camera and snapped a few (crappy) pictures. When I sent these in with my review, all hell broke loose. My editor got pissed that I had to do that...the photo editor was pissed that I was taking pictures. Now that I think about it, I can see why he was mad. Afterall, I wouldn't like it if the photo people started writing. Anyway, I was pretty upset when he sent me a nasty email. I thought about quitting the paper because, frankly, this kind of shit is always happening. Last issue I wrote half of the A&E section. Not one or two stories, I wrote four! Some of these stories were quiet a lot of work. Did I complain? No, see unlike the million other reporters, I take the stories no one else will take. Most staff A&E writers only write something when they go to a concert THEY want to go to. Or review a CD when a band THEY LIKE puts one out. I started out doing the same thing, but I need money now.

Friday night me and my girl went to an Opera, "La Boheme." It was really cool, I never thought I'd go see and opera (let alone actually like it). The tickets were $45 but our way was totally paid for by the paper. After I wrote my review, I got an email from my editor about this concert that wasn't covered. I had no idea who this person was, and the concert was on Sunday night (not a good night for me, I like to loaf before bed). But I knew I needed the money, so I did what I always do. I took the assignment no one else would take. My editor actually complained a little about me giving her such short notice! Can you believe that? Truth be told, I'd known about this concert all week, but I hesitated on taking it because I was leaving it open for someone else. See, unlike me editor (how does all movie reviews, never letting anyone else write a movie review for the paper) I feel bad about taking all the stories. But when no one decided to take it, well I told her I'd go.

So I went to this concert, it was this guy I'd never heard of...Marivn Hamlisch. This guy is basically a genius. He's won three Oscars, four Grammys, four Emmys, a Tony, and three Golden Golbes. He also wrote "A Chorus Line" which won a Pulitzer Prize. He wrote the song "The Way We Were" and "Nobody Does it Better" (for the classic James Bond film, The Spy Who Loved Me). Besides being a composer and piano player, they guy was really funny. The show was really good.

Anyway, I'm sitting at this thing...the only person under 40 in the whole crowd...and this lady sitting next to me starts asking my questions during the intermission. She asked me what I was doing (I had a steno pad in my lap, and was taking notes during the show) I told her. She asked me if I was bored, and if I liked working for the paper. I thought about it, and told her I wasn't bored and that I love writing for the paper. Now, do I want to make a career out of it? Hell no, journalsim is pretty damn boring, frankly. The kind of writing you do is so forced and unartistic. But, the more I thought about it...the cooler the job really is. I mean, I wish I was paid more...I'm not making but enough to keep gas in my car (forget about paying off my credit card) but there are some great perks. I get to see my name in print every week (all writers love that). I also get to go to a bunch of strange things I'd never go to unless I was foreced to go. For FREE! The tickets to Marvin Hamlisch were $60! It was pretty funny actually, everyone was dressed up (suits and dresses) then there I am....jeans, black t-shirt and a leather jacket. People really have to wonder about me. It was the same thing at the Opera with my girlfriend.

So, even though I do lots of work...taking the jobs no one else will touch...without recieveing much encouragement or praise from my bosses (my editor sent me an email this weekend telling me what a good job I do, but only after she knew I was upset) I guess I'm going to stay on the damn paper. It's a good job. Some of the staff take it WAY to seriously though. I was sitting at a meeting and some friends of mine (acutally friends of Leah's who are now my friends) came up to me and were pretty rude. "Without News there is no paper!" Of course they were news people. And they're right, of course. Shit, a few weeks back my section didn't even run (printing error) and hardly anyone noticed. But still, there's no reason to act like that (like they're so superior).

So that's my sad story about this weekend. I know I should get used to being treated like crap (and being under appreciated) because that's pretty much how the world works. It still makes me mad, though. But pretty much every job I've ever had was like this. Employers need to take the time to let you know you're work is noticed and appreciated. If I ever find myself back in a managment role I'll be sure to practice what I preach (I admit, once I was the "bad boss" I'm complaing about at the bookstore).

No comments: