Sunday, February 05, 2006

Welcome to the maddness...

OK, so I usually don't go all bandwaggony...but I was reading this magazine for writers (I really want to be a writer) and it said one way to improve your writing is to start blogging. So here I am. Yay! (this'll probably end up as evidence someday). I'm not really sure exactly what I'm going to write about so I'm going to just riff for now...

So I just finished watching the Superbowl halftime show. Fucking Stones. I saw them two weeks ago in St. Louis, the show was awesome. Sold out, 15,500 people. I snagged tickets last minute ($150) but it was worth it. Me and my girlfriend had a great time. Another plus was I got to write a concert review for The Current (the college newspaper I write for). The review should be printed tonight, on the stands tomorrow. I'm really excited, for me it was a BIG deal just to see the Stones...let alone review them. I was a bit dissapointed with the halftime show, though. Mick's mike kept fucking up, and those dickless wonders at the FCC censored "Rough Justice." (the song's reference to 'cocks'). America is becoming a big joke. They can't get the halftime at the SUPERBOWL to sound right? And then don't even get me started on the censorship thing...Mick! Please! Next time, if you're going to sell out and play a show for Ma and Pa Kettle...please make sure they're going to give you mic that's worth a dam.

In case you can't tell, I'm pretty into music. In fact, next to writing, music is my most favorite thing. I LOVE going to concerts. Someday I'll have to post all the shows I've been to in my short 2o some years. It's unbelieveable. Rock music is my lifeblood. I love it because it's so primal, and yet so poetic. Rock music/lyrics are the poetry of this modern age. I moved from Kansas City to St. Louis to go to college...but secretly I chose St. Louis because this city has more shows a year. At least, it did when I lived in K.C. Now of course, that I live here there's nothing going on! I've seen two shows since last September--The Stones and Franz Ferdiand. Now, while both of those bands kick ass...I didn't move 200 miles for two shows. I'm excited, The Strokes are supposed to play out here in April. That should be good.

I guess my situation is a good example of "the grass being greener on the otherside." That seems to be a theme these days. Everyone wants what everyone else has. The problem is, of course, is that once we get this stuff it's never as good as it looked in someone elses hands! God knows I've had this happen to me more than 100 times...and I never learn! This, my friends, is part of what I like to call THE GREAT AMRICAN PROBLEM. Now I love American and I'm a democrat (NOTE the SMALL "D"), but I feel ashamed to a part of this country these days. And it has almost nothing to do with Bush. I am not a Bush basher. Really, I'm not. He's not the problem...we are. You and me Joe Q. Public. We've let the media and government spin out of control. Up is down, down is left. Right is wrong, wrong is right. What the hell happened? I'm going to have to write more on this later....

Anyway, like I said I like music. I'm a college student (junior). So my opinion is about as worthless as I am. I need to get a job, a real one. I don't get paid much writing for the paper. I don't even really like it that much. It's okay, but I'd rather be writing something that actually means something. The problem is though, I'm not sure what the hell that something is...

I guess I'll stop now, but before I do--let me explain the whole "Limemonkey" thing. I like monkeys and limes. I like to combine things I like to make my screen names. Easy. Get your mind out of the gutter.

Jason

No comments: