Wednesday, September 27, 2006

It's A Kind Of Magic

Truman Capote died in the early '80s, yet tonight this man told me a story. A strange way to look at books, I know...but think about it. Writing is the ultimate time machine! In 1944 Capote wrote a short story, today I read it. In a way, by putting his thought to paper, he was able to communicate with me in 2006. This is another (albeit fantastical) reason I love writing. It makes a piece of you imortal. Imagine if Capote was my grandparent, or great grandparent. Imagine how cool it would be to have a novel, poem, or short story written by someone like that. My kids and their kids will have that. While I'm not a published author, my papers could be passed down and read by future generations. I think thats both amazing and very neat. I hope that happens. I think this link to the past and this powerful link to other human beings conciousness is wonderful, amazing stuff. I guess I'm weird like that...

I did my homework early so I could come home and write. My goal of one short story a week may not pan out, though. Currently I'm bogged down in a Vietnam of a story (not about 'Nam by the way) called "The Strange Tale of Rosa Glynn." So far it's alright, nothing special. Today in British Literature I wrote up a one page outline of my next story "The Gossamer Trunk" which should be fantastic. I'm very excited about it, but first, I have to get "Rosa Glynn" finished. Ugh, I hate that. I hate it when I start something mediocre only to get halfway through it and come up with something that interests me more. I've already spent like 4 nights working on it, so I may as well spend another 4 finishing it, right? Until then, my new story idea will only be an annoying itch on my brain.

I almost died today when a girl nearly ran me over with her damn bicycle. People need to be more careful. I need to be more careful too, I nearly died again later when I slipped at the top of the stairs here in my dorm. There's some sort of water leak and it made the steps all slippery. Ugh, I feel like I live in a leaky submarine sometimes. All we need is a red light bulb and few less windows.

It's late, so I'm going to bed. I probably won't get to write much this weekend because I have a test early next week and my folks are coming into town. Such is life!And tomorrow night I'm having some friends over...yay!

No comments: