Wednesday, September 20, 2006

What scares you?

"Wanna see something scary?"

Dan Akroyd says this as he pops in an old cassette tape into the dashboard tape player...then the camera pans away. Off screen his character turns into a monster and (we presume) he kills the man riding beside him. The question isn't just asked of Akroyd's co-star at the begining of THE TWILIGHT ZONE MOVIE...it's asked of the audience as well. Want to see something scary? Well, do ya?

I'm not a timid person, at least, I don't think so. I try to avoid a lot of horror movies not because I get scared, but because I don't really like gore. Blood and guts are just not my thing. My girlfriend is the exact opposite: she's afraid of even the most tame "scary" movies. There is, however, a difference between what you see on a screen (big or small) and real life.

Right now, I'm really freaked out...

It was one of those deals where I was just surfing the web. Somehow (I don't know how) I ended up looking at John Landis (American director). I spent about 20-30 minutes reading about his career and the court case surrounding the wrongful death lawsuit surrounding his segment of THE TWILIGHT ZONE MOVIE. I was reading the IMDB movie message boards about the film, and of course, everyone was talking about the film's loss of life. Eventually I find out that you can see the rough footage of actor Vic Marrow dying (along with two child actors) on YOUTUBE.com

Hesitantly, I decided to check it out. I am really scared right now. Something about the reality of what I saw has freaked me out. Why has someone posted such a thing? Well...why did someone (like me) want to watch it? Why are we so attracted to dark, scary, terrible things? I don't know. I do know that if I was realated to the late Croc Hunter (Steve Erwin) I would make sure that all of the footage of him dying WAS PERMENANTLY DESTROYED or it will end up on the internet. And people, like me, will be up late at night...haunted by the images of extreme horror. Something really scary--reality.

No comments: