Sunday, September 10, 2006

There is more.

I have come to the realization that there is more to life than what I am currently achieving. Human beings very rarely live up to their full potential. In fact, I believe that it is utterly impossible for people to ever achieve 100%. Man has gone to the moon. Think about that for a moment. People, flesh and blood human people have put footprints on the surface of that big shiny globe you see floating high overhead at night.

If a group (a small group if you think about it) can put men on the moon...what can we as individuals do? To say that "the sky is the limit" is rather ridiculous...because it's not. There is no limit, beyond the sky...beyond the moon, beyond the stars. How far can we reach? How far can you personally go? You tell me.

I'm a lazy motherfucker. And so are you. Don't care who you are, or what you're doing--you could do more. Right now I am at the peak of my abilities as a person. I'm young, fairly strong of will...the problem for me (and I think many in my generation) is that I have no direction. A ship with full sails, good winds, but no compass...no destination...no harbor to point towards. I don't know how to get this direction, but the more young people I meet...the more I talk to people in my age bracket, I see that there is a very large, very serious problem. Our priorities are all wrong, and we have no idea who we are or what it is we should be doing.

I have seen the problem, now I need to find the solution. The answer exists somewhere, do I (do you?) have the courage to seek it? There is more to life than what we are doing with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jason--because of the upcoming novella you'll be working on at Christmas, I dug this up in your archives. It captures my own experience of the day...which as I try to talk about it with students, makes me feel stupid for feeling so passionately about it. What you SHOULD be doing is writing, writing, writing. Terri, the lurker