Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Sonny's Blues

Tonight I read a short story by James Baldwin, "Sonny's Blues." Like all my favortie books/stories "Sonny's Blues" was an honest, sometimes hoplessly bleak story. THE OUTSIDERS by S.E. Hinton and Fitzgerald's THE GREAT GATSBY have a similar effect on me. I become wrapped up in the story, and it's a very realistic story...one that's not like what you see on TV or in the movies. The hopelessness and the helplessness...the powerless feeling that you have no control over your life...that everything is beyond you. The great saddness of life--dissapointment. Of course, since it's art there is a bit of hope and redemption in the end. Which is always good. Anyway, I started out wanting to write something really detailed and deep...but I'm suddenly very sleepy. Anyway, if you ever have a rainy afternoon to kill you might check out "Sonny's Blues" it's really worth the read.

1 comment:

Finding Clarity Amongst Confusion said...

I read that a billion years ago. I don't remember half of it. I was junior in high school in advanced english classes. It was pretty intense from what I remember. Btw, hope you guys have a good thanksgiving...