Friday, February 16, 2007

"Death for Breakfast"

Well yesterday was a strange day. I got up, showered and went to class...and once again it was cancelled. I'm sort of pissed about it because this woman waits until I get all the way on the other side of campus before posting online that there is no class. Luckily for us, the room has a computer so we're able to check online when she doesn't show up...but still...try to post BEFORE class starts that there is going to be no class.

Anyway, I went with my buddy Paul to the library and printed off my ultra-revised copy of "The Dodo Egg" and turned it in to the english department for the Wednesday Club contest. I didn't win last year, and I probably won't win this year...but damn it would be nice if I did. Then I went to the lunch room and ate a waffle and chatted it up with Leah before she had to go and take a test. Some how I got started about haunted waffle irons and murderous messages being burned into waffles...and BAM!!! Just like in the old days (when I was in a creative writing class and everything became a story) I wrote "Death for Breakfast" in my head.

As soon as she left I got out a pen and paper...and wrote it (which is also like old times because I haven't hand written a story in ages). I finished it up (15 pages hand written about 9 typed) in less than two hours. I was so excited I emailed it to my editor/cheerleader back home without even reading it (which was a mistake because I just read it and found a crap load of mistakes). I just sent off a revised copy. I really hate editing, I hate reading my stuff. In my head, and at the time I'm writing it I get this impression that what I'm doing is good...then I read it and reality sets in--I'm a fucking hack. Oh well, there are lots of really happy, and really successful hacks. Hopefully I can get to join them in there Hack-dom.

Regardless of everything, I'm happy that I not only got an idea for a story...but that I wrote (and finished) it!!! So I was/am very happy about it. I also got the scoop on another writing contest (top prize $750). So I have another deadline, which always helps a lazy sod like me...

Initially, I was going to post "Death for Breakfast" online on my blog...but I decided not to because: A). It's really long and B). I can never get the spacing right on this crappy text box...all my indents and such get messed up when I try to copy and paste from Word. If anyone is interested in reading it, I can email it to you (happily).

I need to do my homework and film my Friday video blog, but I just can't seem to get the NRG to do these things. I'm not saying there won't be a Friday video blog...but I may wait and post it on Saturday. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want a copy of the new story.