Thursday, February 08, 2007

Vineland

Today I spent about five hours on a marathon reading session finishing up VINELAND (that Pynchon book I kept forgetting I had). What a long, strange trip I have been on. During my lengthy time reading I wandered to and fro about my campus...I hit the library (three times), the cafeteria (for two meals: a light lunch and dinner), two different "quiet" lounges, and one men's room (a guys gotta go). I must have looked like a shuffling zombie to those I passed on my periodic moves and relocations. I certainly felt like a zombie. I won't bore you with more of my obsession with Pynchon...however I will say that VINELAND is hands down one of the strangest/bizarre/unexplainable reads I've ever had in my sweaty mitts. I'll skip the plot (read it and find out what it's about), instead here is a rundown of some of the things in VINELAND: hippies, cops, prostitutes, female ninjas, a Star Trek parody, a mysterious touch of death, a city of living dead, a rock band called The Vomitones, and brief trip to the gates of hell. Oh yeah, and Godzilla makes a cameo appearance.

Needless to say, my brain is mush right now. There are about a million things I should/want/need to be do...however I can't seem to find the will to do any of it (I get that way when I make up my mind to finish a book...I sacrifice my entire day doing it and any time left over is merely unused). I'm sure everyone is too busy reading THE GREAT GATSBY to go and pick VINELAND up (ha!) but next time you have nothing to read go pick it up...and take a trip down the rabbit hole/crossword puzzle/rat-in-the-maze novel that is VINELAND.

No comments: