Friday, February 27, 2009

In Defense of The Jonas Brothers & Tinted Windows

This weekend, CORALINE is being kicked off all the 3-D movie screens (I hope you went and saw it in 3-D, but chances are you DIDN'T because you are lame...and you think it's just another lame kiddie movie). What's taking its place?

THE JONAS BROTHERS IN 3-D.

Now, I'm not a big fan of these Disney-Channel music acts (I'm looking squarely at you Hanna Montana), but what I've read and heard...The Jonas Brothers are alright. What the hell? "But Jason," I hear you say, "You like cool rock n' roll...what the hell?"

Well, look...I'm not an expert (only heard a few snippets on the radio) and I'm not saying I'm going to EVER buy an album or see this 3-D movie...BUT there are worse acts than The Jonas Brothers out there right now.

Why do I cut them some slack? Because of the following:

1. They play their own instruments.
2. They write their own songs


That's really what it boils down to for me. If you're writing and playing your own stuff, then you are already head-and-shoulders above Brittany Spears, etc. The same argument could be made for Hanson (remember them?) but there is one key ingredient The Jonas Brothers have that Hanson was/is lacking--they're actually kinda cool (if you're 13 years old I guess).

Anyway, I read an article in ROLLINGSTONE about how those kids worship Elvis Costello--The Jonas Brothers, that is--and that gives me a few extra points in my book. So there ya go. Lay off The Jonas Brothers.

And speaking of Hanson, I'm ashamed to admit that I'm probably going to buy the Tinted Windows album when it comes out in April 21. Tinted windows is a FUCKING INSANE super-group. Check out the line-up:

1. James Iha (Smashing Pumpkins)
2. Taylor Hanson (Hanson)
3. Adam Schlesinger (Fountains of Wayne)
4. Bun E. Carlos (Cheap Trick)

WTF?? Who put these people together? The age factor (Taylor Hanson is 27 while Bun Carlos is 57!) is startling...but the talent factor is mind-blowing (the lead-singer of Fountains of Wayne and the drummer from Cheap Trick in the same group!!! Holy shit). Throw in the guitarist from Smashing Pumpkins AND the oldest Hanson kid...and you have a weird, weird...WEIRD mixture. What I've heard is bubble-gum power pop (which is awesome).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the record Taylor Hanson is the middle brother of the three. Zac is the youngest and Isaac is the oldest.

Jason said...

oh snap! I'm sorry...I'm not a Hanson-ologist. Did you watch that clip? What do you think? It's silly-power pop...but that's the BEST kind.

Did you get my No Doubt email?