Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Cell


So I stayed up last night and read the last 175 pages of CELL by Stephen King. I've been reading so much real literature that I decided to let my mind have a little "snack." That's a pretty good way of describing this book. Lots of interesting ideas, but in the end there is little nutritional value. The plot of the book is simple. On October 1 the world ends. A strange (never explained) pulse hits the worlds cell phone systems and everyone using one has his/her brains wiped. This (naturally) turns them all into blood thirsty zombies. The book is dedicated to George Romero (a good friend of King's) who bascially did this whole thing decades ago in his film DAWN OF THE DEAD. The book's characters even mention this film by name several tims (so rather than pretend what he's doing is orignial King gives us a big ole wink). The book isn't really about zombies though, it's about surviving in a world gone mad.

The people not turned into flesh eaters ("normies" as they call themselves) scurry around at night searching for food and a clean place to sleep. The daylight hours of King's book are a nightmare world where huge flocks of mindless people shuffle around killing. Sound familiar? The whole thing is an attack on modern, Western culture...specifically the cell phone culture. One ironic thing about yesterday--a few hours before I finished the book, I was re-inducted into the land of cell phones. Every since August I've been without one, but last night me and Leah of our new, shiny Sprint phones. I thought it was a little odd being sucked back into that world while being on the cusp of finishing King's book. I can't say that I hate them as much as King (which he does...if you have any doubts of this after reading the book, the back jacket informs us that King does not own a cell phone). I hate how they make people act, and I hate how they make me act sometimes. Then there are the health issues. Sure, cell phones probably won't turn you into a flesh eating monster...but what about cancer? I'd take the zombie-ism over "THE BIG C" anyday.

It is scary outside, but not because of any horror monsters. People are drawing further and further inside themselves. When I was a kid it seemed that people were friendly. Service at stores was better. When you went to the movies, people didn't talk loudly as if they owned the place. True, it did occur, but it was the exception...not the rule. Cell phones, internet, cable, GPS, OnStar...we don't need these things. When I gave up my cell phone (so Leah could have one) at the end of the summer I was bumming. But I survived just fine. We don't need these things to get by (or be happy). I'm not sure how plausible King's story is...however the more I think about it, the more I wonder...could the cell phones be turned into some sort of brainwashing device? Buy more...text more...grraawwrrr!!!

JASON's NOTE: It may seem like I didn't enjoy this book...but I did. As an english major I know I shouldn't--but to be frank, I couldn't but it down. I was up till 4:00AM reading this thing. If that's not good writing, I don't know what is. Damn you King. Damn you...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read much King except for Misery and his book on Writing. I suspect he has it in him to be far more "literary" than his reputation allows him to be. I saw inklings of that in Misery...

Also, do you worry about "trackability" with a cell phone. I haven't had one either in about 18 months, and I prefer it that way. I mostly used it to call out and not to receive calls.