Saturday, December 02, 2006

Final Score: Ice 2, Trees 0

So I just spent about 20 minutes freeing my car's rear tires from this nasty ice. The roads are clear and the power is back on (last night me and Leah were driving and noticed that several houses in the surrounding area were dark...as were two gas stations). The trees are still suffering though. The huge tree near our parking lot is going to have to be cut down. There are several trees down on Natural Bridge as well. A tree at the edge of her parent's property was fully up-rooted by the sheer weight of all the ice.

We played with Rusty in her backyard, chasing him around in the snow. It was fun. Also a bit dangerous too, as the warm sun rays melted the ice. I wish I had taken my camera with me...the falling ice was surreal. I'm amazed not by the trees that are damaged, but rather by the ones that aren't. There are several trees right outside my window that are rather tiny, thin little things...and they've stoically held up the ice.

All this snow and ice came at the right time. I was begining to forget that it was winter. In fact, the 70 degree weather on Wednesday was making me consider taking my shorts out of storage. Amazing what a difference a day can make. Al Gore's Global Warming movie came out this week on DVD (which is funny because mass producing something like a DVD must make all sorts of pollution). The hurricane season ended without much fanfare...and then we have this weird week of weather. I'm torn on all of it. How much of Global Warming is real? How much is over blown? I'm annoyed that only time will tell (I want to know now!).

Anyway, I hope this isn't the last winter storm...but I hope the next one is more snow and less ice.

No comments: