Saturday, December 23, 2006

Jason Update

Last night me and Leah went and saw the new Rocky movie. It was decent. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone not a hardcore Rocky fan. Or an old person. I think old people will like it. The whole idea of an aged Rocky still having a place in society/things left to do is nice. We live in a youth obsessed culture, so a movie like this is probably needed. The whole thing is basically a trip down memory lane, both for Stallone the actor and Balboa the character. Moviegoers take this trip as well. It didn't really work as well on me and Leah...neither of us had seen a Rocky movie in the theatre. Maybe if we had we'd have been able to relate to where Rocky finds himself (which is basically right back where he started in Rocky one). The thing that dissapointed me the most was the final fight scene. It was over directed/edited. It looked like it was put together for the MTV/video game generation. Lots of quick cuts, flashy filters, slow motion, etc.

I guess that's what happens when you let an actor direct. I suspect the whole thing would have turned out better had an actual director been in charge. The movie didn't make me hate Rocky or anything...it worked. But man is Sly looking old. It worked for this movie, but there is no way in hell he's going to be able to pull off another Rambo (which I hear is his next project). I'd rather he work on this Edgar Allen Poe biopic he's been talking about (for years). I think Johnny Depp or someone like that could really do that part justice.

Anyway, I'm just sitting here...enjoying not having to do anything. Leah is baking her last batch of cookies...Amber and Lindsey are watch HELP! the second Beatles movie. We're all supposed to watch the Chiefs game soon...life is grand.

No comments: