Sunday, November 09, 2008

Two Endings?

So I'm getting close, this time for real, to finishing my novel. As I creep closer to the finish-line (finally) I'm facing one last MAJOR challenge--

THE ENDING.

I have a pretty good idea how this whole crazy thing called THE MOSQUITO VINE will wrap up, but I'm a little conflicted on whether I want a positive ending or a more negative ending. Will my characters live or die? Writing a short story, you really don't get very attached to your characters. They live, they die...you don't really feel anything. I've spent a year+ with these little voices-in-my-head and now I'm facing the possibility that all will not end well.

I'm toying with writing two ending and letting my first couple of readers pick the best one. At the same time, I fee like I should just "man-up" and decide on my own. Hmm...what should I do???

5 comments:

Jimu said...

I'd say let several of your readers give their suggestions for the ending. but then ultimately it was up to you. gives you the best of both alternatives.

Lrgblueeyes said...

I agree so what people say about both endings, then decide

Jason said...

Well...it is MORE work...but I think that's what I'll do.

Anonymous said...

How many novels can you think of that have happy endings?

Jason said...

Not very many, and very few good ones. I think I have my ending, I'm just sad it has to end THAT way...