Tuesday, March 18, 2008

ABBA's Drummer Is Dead...the Limemonkey asks, "Who is Next?"

For those of you out of the loop, former ABBA (Swedish pop group) drummer Ola Brunkert is dead. You can read about it here.

Brunkert died in a freak accident (seriously, go read the story, it's messed up). Anyway, tonight while he was trying to eat his dinner, the Limemonkey got a call from his lady (who is in Chicago at this hour). Apparently today she and her father had a serious heart-to-heart about death and dying.

Death both scares and soothes me. The thought of no longer "existing" freaks me out and comforts me.

I'm not a religious monkey...for me, death is cold oblivion. Kinda scary when you think about it? But how scary is that? Does it hurt/feel bad when you fall asleep (and don't dream)?

"No" says the Limemonkey. "That feels good actually, it's a release."

I'd like to think it's all "Strike me down, and I shall become more powerful than you can imagine..." But honestly, I think death is just a nap you never wake up from.

"Don't Fear the Reaper" Blue Oyster Cult once told us, and I try not too--but depending on my mood...I do fear him. Death is a natural fact of life, and yet it's very foreign to me. I've only known a handful of dead people (that's a statement which is weird no matter how you slice it). I really hope I'm wrong, and that their is a heaven (and, I guess a hell...though that would suck, cos if there is I am SO GOING), but I just don't think it's that complicated.

Maybe that's why I want to write--so I can leave something lasting behind. But even that doesn't last "forever" does it?

Anyway, the drummer from ABBA knows all the answers...one way or the other. He's a lucky guy in some ways (and not so lucky in others...seriously, go read the article...it's fucked up).

I don't have a Martin Riggs craving for death, but I'm trying really hard not to fear the Reaper. One day, all this will be a moot point (Momma, put my guns in the ground).

No comments: