Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Who Watches the Watchmen?


I'm currently reading Alan Moore's graphic novel WATCHMEN. It's a book that's been on my radar for a while now, but I only picked it up after hearing they were making it into (a very faithful) feature film (done in the style and by the guy who brought 300 to the big screen). All the pictures I'm seeing of the costumes look amazingly dead-on.

Anyway, it's not just a "comic book." Time magazine listed it on their 100 greatest novels since 1923 list. It's also the only "comic book" to win a Hugo Award. The book is a grim, commentary on the superhero genre that takes place in an alternate 1985--where Nixon is STILL President, the USA "won" Vietnam, and there are superheroes. Oh, and the world is on the brink of nuclear Armageddon.

For some reason, I'm on a graphic novel kick. I read Mark Millar's WANTED the week before (also being made into a film...unfortunately, a crappy one). I'm also struggling through the second DARK TOWER book. It's good, don't get me wrong...but it's lengthy. Hopefully I make it through the series.

WATCHMAN's a good read, you should check it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I have a series that you should read! The Percy Jackson and the Olympians. It is not a graphic novel but it is good! The first book is Lightning Thief the second one is The Sea of Monsters and I am half way. There are three books in the series.
love,
Lindsey (little sis)

Jason said...

Well as soon as I finish one of my books I'll have to get Lighting Thief. Thank you for the recommendation.