Thursday, April 20, 2006

REM was right...

So last night I saw something really freaky on iTUNES (never thought I'd say that). It was a free trailer for Al Gore's new movie/documentary "An Inconvient Truth." It's about global warming. How real is global warming? I think there is no denying the fact that things on planet Earth are getting hectic and frantic and scary and freaky.

When I was a kid, it was a rare event when we had hail. Now, in my native Kansas City, they seem to have it every time it rains. And it's big hail too, not this little pea sized stuff. My Dad showed me a bucket of golf ball eggs that flew from the sky. Terribly freaky. Then there was last Summer's Katrina. What will this summer hold for the Hurricane season? God only knows.

Every since human industrialization, however, it's been a smoggy place. I went to Chicago this past Janurary and I couldn't believe how dirty it was. Very nasty, the big city is. Imagine what New York must be like! Too many cars on the road...that's why I try to walk as much as I can. I can do that because I live on campus, duh. I read a report on the internet a few days ago about how Americans are "abandoing the big cities." Crime and pollution being the chief cause. I think that this is only going to make things worse though. People need to start living CLOSER to where they work, not further away!!! I thought the price of gas would fix that thinking. Oh well, I guess people will learn the hard way.

People in government don't take this stuff seriously because:

1. They aren't scientists
2. They owe their offices to big business (the people doing the polluting)
3. They are so old, they figure the problems won't start until they are dead.

This stuff is going to happen sooner or later...I hope it'll be later than sooner, but eventually somebody's going to have to deal with the mess we've made.

No comments: