Sunday, April 30, 2006

Da Vinci Code

Well, so this weekend I finished Dan Brown's "Da Vinci Code." I really have to warn people against this book, because it is a time vaccuum. I really got into it. It's a pretty shallow, straight forward, book though. One of those ones that you sit back when you're done and say "that had a lot of holes in it." But it's a fun ride. It'll make an excellent movie. I can't wait to see Tom Hanks run...and run...and run...because really, all this book is, is one giant chase scene. The villian is pretty surprising too, although not too surprising because I had it narrowed down to two characters...and the Teacher turned out to be one of them. I was a bit dissapointed in some of the codes found throughout the book. They were way too easy. I have very little knowledge...about religious stuff...and I was able to decode a lot of the clues and puzzles WAY before the characters (who were college professors and historians). Some of the riddles were really obvious too, and they'd spend chapters trying to figure them out. I just wanted to scream at the page..."You stupid idiots!"




Is the book anti-Catholic? Yeah. If I was a Catholic, or for that matter, a Christian, I'd be pretty offended by much of the book. The book claims Jesus wasn't the son of God, but a prophet. The Holy Grail is Mary, who had Jesus' kid...and went into hiding with the Jews in Gaul (modern day France). Their bloodline is alive and well in Europe today...blah, blah, blah. If I had firm beliefs in Jesus I'd be really upset. But not too, upset, I'm no expert, but many of the book's claims are a little far fetched.

Anyway, the movie should be pretty good. Just don't take all this stuff so seriously. Sit back, and enjoy. I'd reccomend the book to anyone interested in what the film is about. If you are curious, and not too conservative, pick it up. You won't be able to put it down.

No comments: