Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Banality of Life, 9-11, and Art History

Well the Internet is out at our apartment (which is why I'm writing this on an UMSL computer). Yesterday was 9-11 and I was torn about what I should write. Thankfully our connection broke and it became sort of a non-issue. Before I started writing this, I visited the some of the blogs I normally read...and was surprised to see that most people had little (or nothing) to say about it. That made me feel a little better, because I felt bad for not having any passion on the subject. A few years ago I wrote a rather lengthy (and I've been told well written) account of that day. This year, with the election and war in Iraq...I find that my heart just wasn't in any sort of remembrance. I think like most Americans, I just want to forget.

Without any Internet or working television (I did watch a very snowy episode of HOUSE on Fox), I actually did some writing (of the "creative" variety). It's been, what? Four?? Five months since I did this, so that made me happy. I feel bad about this, but frankly--I can't get any work done in our "study." I feel bad because I know that if Leah wasn't there I could get some real work done, but I don't want to kick her out of her own home...so I think I'm going to have to start taking my laptop to school with me (something I dread doing) just so I can get some work done after classes.

Speaking of class, I find myself starting to get "Senior-itis." Specifically in regards to my one "forced" class (Art History). It probably would have interested me a few years ago, but now...as and English major, frankly--I could care less about Sumerian artwork. Sorry Sumerians. I've thus far skipped this class twice (once today). I felt not one drop of guilt as I retreated with my friend Paul to the Nosh. We talked, ate a bit of breakfast, and read REDBURN together (which is fantastic by the way). My Art History class is in this giant lecture hall...she doesn't take attendance, AND puts her power point lecture up on the web (not that I'll ever actually ever look at it).

I went to class Monday and read some Carlyle. Even though I was sitting in the upper/back tiers...I could feel her eyes blaze on me. She stopped class ten minutes early and gave us a "pop" quiz. Despite the fact that I hadn't been paying attention I was one of the first to finish. Here's a tip lady: never ask an English major to write a paragraph or two about his "opinion" of a work of art (we're good at bullshitting/filling space). After that sorry episode I was determined not to go back to class this week.

Anyway, I'm doing better now that things aren't going so well for me (if that makes sense). As I've stated time and time again--I only get the urge to write when my life is shit. So cross your fingers that the banality of life will continue to wear me down...maybe I'll get something useful out of it.

1 comment:

Eternal Sunshine of Katie's Mind said...

You're right. We ARE really good at bullshitting (aka filling up space). It's one of my greatest talents. It's what has gotten me through about 85% of my college career.