Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Today's Literature class

Because my friend Katie missed class today (shame, shame) I'm going to recap what happened today in class (for her, and I guess...anyone else that reads this).

Katie, today was pretty boring. Sylvia finished up talking about THE DEERSLAYER. We took a quiz (naturally) then started right away discussing the character of Judith Hutter. If you recall from the last class, I made the statement that I found Judith's sudden hatred towards Thomas Hutter to be...a little shocking. Sylvia SAID she was going to take up the character of Judith--but she didn't. WELL today she made up for it by spending nearly the entire class time talking about Judith.

As you know from the last few pages of the book, the fate of Judith is left up in the air. Cooper hints that she might have gone (and I thought married, but in class it was stressed that there was no marriage) off with one of the soldiers from the local garrison. The Deerslayer decides not to find out if the beautiful woman living with the officer is Judith. I can't believe she would go and marry the soldier--but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, a bunch of the grad students kept the conversation going.

Here are ALL my notes from the class (yes, I'm a bad boy and only took one page worth):



Also, there is some problems with the reading assignment for next time. It seems that some of the books the bookstore carried were a newer edition that doesn't have the CORRECT Poe and O'Brien stories (it has SOME Poe and O'Brien stories...just not the ones she wants us to read). I haven't checked my copy yet, but she said if you don't have them to just get them from the Internet or the library. Good luck.

Also on the way out she handed us a handout with possible topics for the first paper (due in like 2 weeks):

3 comments:

Jason said...

Note: as with all my pics, if you click on them Katie you can enlarge them (so you can read the text).

Eternal Sunshine of Katie's Mind said...

Awesome!!! Thanks for the descriptive synopsis! I've got the whole weekend off, so I think I'll just go ahead and get that paper over with (or at least started on it!). Totally off topic, but do you like jazz music?

Jason said...

You're welcome. I wish I took better notes...but alas, even what I do take I never look at (I mostly take notes to stay awake).

I love all kinds of music...some more than others. Jazz is one of those things that I like, but have never really gotten into (beyond the Ken Burns Jazz boxset I bought for my Mom).