Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Graduation



Ah, Graduation. It's coming, soon...

The end of the line, that final step in the educational process. A graduate is supposed to be complete, confident, ready to face the world. Reality is crashing down on me. I'm starting to freak out. Luckily for me, I have GRADUATION. I first heard of Kanye West back in 2004 when his debut, THE COLLEGE DROPOUT came out. At the time, all I knew about it was that it was highly regarded and featured the cutest little teddy bear on the cover art. Then in 2005, during my first month living in the dorms my friend Ty asked me to burn her a copy of West's second disc LATE REGISTRATION. Naturally, I did (I did a lot of things that girl asked) and in doing so the album ended up ripped onto my laptop. For whatever reason, I left it there. A few days later, I listened to it from start to finish.

Now I'll admit, I'm not a very big rap fan. In fact, I can really barely tolerate most of it. My reasons are pretty much what most "lame" white people give when they criticize rap: It's demeaning to women, there is little ACTUAL music, there is no singing only shouting, I don't relate to it's common themes of drug dealing and street violence, all most rappers do is talk about how great they are, all most rappers do is brag about how great they are, etc.

All of my criticisms are valid, I think. All of them can be applied to Kanye West's music, too. Yet there is something different about his music, something that appeals to me. Despite being classified as "rap," West (who's actually more producer than rapper (even I can tell his delivery is weak)), takes risks and does things most rappers don't. True, he samples...but West samples THE DAMNEDEST THINGS--a quick glance on Wikipedia reveals everything from Elton John, Daft Punk, Shirley Bassey, Mountain, Steely Dan!!! What the fuck??? Steely Dan??? Combine West's propensity for unusual sampling with his favorite co-producer (and mega-cool-indie rocker) Jon Brion's lush strings/orchestration...and well Kanye West convinced me that even I could find rap engaging and accessible.

So I didn't blink when I heard that he had a new album coming out. I got in my car and bought it the day it came out. The album is great, however it's not as immediate as LATE REGISTRATION. I have to agree with the Rolling Stone review--this one will have to grow on you a bit before you get into it. Still, there are so many good tracks. The opener "Good Morning" with it's heavenly Beach Boys-inspired vocal harmonies, the Daft Punk-sampling lead single "Stonger," the confident swagger and breezy joy of "Good Life," and the melodic "Homecoming" (featuring Coldplay)--all are good on first listen. The rest of the album does take a few listens before connecting...and some fail completely. I'm thinking specifically of "Drunk and Hot Girls" with it's overall lame-ness (however even it's nearly redeemed by it's haunting piano/string combo).

Overall--if you need a work out "pick-me-up" pop in "Stronger." It will keep you on that treadmill/bike. And while I usually hate hearing a rapper brag about how great he his...I find I don't mind it so much when the person doing the bragging is (nearly) 100% right.

Jason gives GRADUATION an "A-"

2 comments:

Eternal Sunshine of Katie's Mind said...

Can't say I've heard his new album, and while I respect your artistic opinion, I must say: I think Kanye West is a pompous bastard.

Jason said...

Oh yeah, totally...big pompous bastard. The guy can't lose at all (he stormed the MTV Europe awards stage when he lost...)

BUT...the guy isn't all bad. He's the first mainstream rapper to publicly support gays and gay rights (which is UNHEARD OF in rap). Also, say what you will about his politics, the guy his brave enough to call Bush out on national TV.

I like a lot of really brash/arrogant musicians though. Oasis, Robbie Williams, The Streets, and Mr. West. I guess I admire them...even though it (obviously) turns a lot of people off--I think it's cool that they believe in themselves that much. I wish I had a tenth of his confidence.