Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Little Like Noah (in that, there was a flood)

Remember that fabulous job I was telling you about? Well in case you didn't know, part of my "security" job involves doing laundry. A lot of laundry, actually. For the most part, it's just a bunch of small loads...the gym doesn't get all that much business, but what it gets is steady.

Anyway, during basket ball games it's a different story. Each team takes like 20 towels (aren't there only 13 people on a basket ball team?) which means I end up doing a shit-load of laundry. Of course, the teams (who must have towels) also want to clean their uniforms. The school only has two washers and two dryers...

There was a game on Saturday. It sucked. At the end of the day, I had no clean towels. The machines were used by the teams to clean uniforms, right until closing time. I locked everything up, eager to go home and enjoy some time off...and in my haste I saw that the machines were FINALLY open. So I threw some laundry in the washer and took off.

I'm no stranger to doing laundry, but what I'm NOT used to dealing with is a front loading washing machine. I'm not sure why they have these, actually. Maybe it's just hindsight...but it seems like a bit of a water hazard. Anyway, I went home...the next day I got a phone call. It was the part-time guard, the kid who trained me.

"Uh...hey Jason...uh...when you left yesterday, did you notice a puddle near the track?"

No. I didn't notice any water on the track.

"Uh...well then, I guess I'll call maintenance."

Okay. Great. Sounds like a plan.

I get back to work a day later, and this little "puddle" turned out to be a fucking flood. I don't know if I'm the one to blame, but I know that my colleagues have little doubt. All this happened over last weekend, until today I hadn't heard much about it. Today, when I got to work they gave me a lesson on doing laundry. After which, the dayshift guard told me they were replacing one of the washer door's lock. I'm not sure if it was my fault (I wasn't the last one out Saturday..and there were other people that day doing laundry) but my crappy job just got a bit crappier--as I am now officially known as the guy who flooded the basement.

Great, huh? Ah, notoriety.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How can this be your fault? How can the machine even operate if the "front door" isn't secured?