Wednesday, January 24, 2007

All You Need Is...



As I mentioned earlier this week, something happened that hasn't happened in a long...long...long time. I heard a new Beatles album. Okay, technically I didn't and technically I did. I guess it all depends on your point of view. Let me explain. There is this Vegas show Cirque de Soleil (a bunch of crazy acrobats and other weird, artsy stuff) that features all Beatles songs. The show is called LOVE. The "new" Beatles album I heard on Monday night is the soundtrack to this show. Amazingly, it too is called LOVE.

Time to split hairs: How is this a new album? The show/soundtrack is composed of reworkings, re-toolings, and mash-ups of classic Beatles songs. All of this was done digitally. Heresy? Perhaps, however I'm a more open minded Beatles fan. So far Apple records/EMI/Columbia (whoever owns the rights to The Beatles back catalogue) has been very discriminating with what happens to these old songs. Which begs the question--why did this album happen, and why is it not just commercial fluff? The songtrack was edited together by none other than George Martin (THE man behind The Beatles), also the two surviving Beatles both agreed to the project (big deal Macca and Ringo need money, right?). Interestingly, George's daughter also agreed and...*gasp* Yoko Ono agreed with the project as well. So this thing is Beatle approved--not some corporate cash rake.

LOVE is difficult to explain. I stayed away from it when it came out because I thought it was a mere "Greatest Hits" part two/repackage. This is not the case. The record opens with an a Capella version of of "Because" (from ABBEY ROAD). Simple enough, just snip out the instruments...then things get a little weird. I guess the best way to sum up this album is that it's like having an acid trip with your entire Beatles collection playing loudly. Example, the song "Gnik Nus" which as you can tell(if you have a mirror handy) "Sun King" played back words. Actually, just the vocals are backwards...the effect is very trippy, and surprisingly--beautiful (just as much as the original version). There are digital medleys, "Drive My Car" starts out normal yet the second chorus is replaced with the chorus from "What You're Doing" before finally melting into "The Word." The song finishes with "Drive My Car" (oh yeah, did I mention that in the middle is the guitar solo from "Taxman"?). This sounds (on paper) as fucking rubbish. However, this is not the case...somehow these elements swirl together...and work, they really gel together nicely.

The best "mash-up" (which is the melody of one song coupled with the lyrics of another) is Ringo's "Octopus's Garden." This track opens with the Ringo singing slowly, and gently like he did on "Goodnight" off the White Album...you might think you're hearing "Goodnight" at first because the instrumental portion is from that earlier track. Once the chorus hits, the music shifts to the songs actual music (and things speed back up). Sound effects (God did those boys like their sound effects) are all sprinkled about in all sorts of unusual ways. Example: the "Yellow Submarine" effects play in the background of "Octopus's Garden" contributing to that song's nautical theme.

Some songs are relatively untouched, many begin with chords to one song before turning into another. Others have minor pitch changes, or have a different sound because Martin went with alternate takes of classic tracks (George's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" are treated in this manner--giving us an entirely new performance (granted you haven't heard the Beatles Anthology..and even if you have, these once rough cuts have been highly polished and have been inserted into lush, finished instrumental beds)).

My uncle David gave me his pirate copy (he got an actual copy for X-mas) the night before the funeral. On the way home I sat in my car and listened to this CD twice. The first time, all I did was smile. The second time I actually got a little teary eyed. Even though I've heard all the sounds before (minus the newly recorded orchestra for "Gently Weeps") it felt so new and fresh. I guess I never expected to have that feeling again, and getting it was a bit overwhealming (for this Beatle super-fan). It was like having a visit from a very old, dear friend. One you never thought you ever see again. I don't really have much of a desire to actually go and see the show, but I'm glad it exists, because a project like this would never have been done (by the actual Beatles production team). Usually I'm not a fan of remixes or mash-ups. They usually seem forced and are a bit hokey...I think the amount of time and talent thrown at this one has made it the smashing success it is. That, and you can't really go too bad when your raw material is so good.

I can't reccomend this album enough. It makes a great addition to older Beatle fan's collections and acts as a brilliant (great sounding) primer for new audiences. All you need is love.

Jason gives LOVE an A

No comments: