Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The End of an Era


One of the reasons I moved to St. Louis was for the awesome music scene. I love rock and roll, and nothing beats a live show. Nothing. CD's and DVD's are great...don't get me wrong. But nothing beats live shows. Oh course, the irony is that as soon as I moved out here I quit going to shows (for the most part). Well, maybe I won't go THAT far...but I have slowed down. And not for the reasons you might think. It's not because I'm poor (which I am) but because there haven't been many good ones out here.

Sure, there was the Stones last year (at about this time). And Franz Ferdinand, and JET (that show was great). But that's about it. None of these shows have been at the one venue that really mattered (at least to me). That would be down on the landing...right by the river, at Mississippi Nights.

Mississippi Nights is a dingy little club, I first visited about four years ago. Me, my girlfriend (at the time), and my sister saw Guided By Voices with ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead. Explosions in the Sky threw a piece of drum kit at us. I caught a guitar pick (wich I still have) from GBV guitarist Nate Farley. Great show. Blew my ear drums (and my mind). Then I went back again a few years later and saw The Old 97's with John Eddie. Another girlfriend, another great show. Stood dead center, very front and got Rhett Miller's sweat all over the front of my shirt (he's so dreamy). I encountered St. Louis legend Beatle Bob for the first time there (oh basically changed my entire life...I'm getting married beacuse of Beatle Bob...long story).

Mississippi Nights was this magical hallowed hall. I saw WAS because on January 19 Nights closed it's doors (much like the great NY landmark CBGB's). I wanted to WORK there...I want desperately to see another show there...now that can never happen. In a way, I'm glad, because unlike most venues...I'll never see a bad show there. I'm sad, but not that sad. It's just another part of my past that gone for good. Nothing stays gold forever Ponyboy...nothing.

2 comments:

Lrgblueeyes said...

explain this beatle bob thing to me...?

Jason said...

The Beatle Bob thing: The second time I ever visited UMSL I was alone. It was the summer of 2005, I was sicker than a dog (just like...right now!). I went into the MSC and was about to sign up for classes. However, I wasn't sure if I really wanted to go to school out here in St. Louis. Being sick I was like "I'm going to be all alone out here...no one's going to take care of me..." and the etc. Well then who do I see, but St. Louis legend (and prolific concert-goer) Beatle Bob. I walked over to him in and shook his hand, I asked why he was there (he claimed to be "helping out the Sociology Department"). It was sign! Since that time, I haven't seen Bob anywhere on campus (and believe me...I should because I live on freakin' campus). Anyway, I walked upstairs and signed up for classes. I made my final decision based on a loacl nutcase. And the rest is history. I met you, got engaged.

That's the story of how Mississippi Nights (the place where an out-of-towner like me learned about Beatle Bob) helped to convince me to attend school out here in St. Louis...and ultimately change my life!