Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Fountain of Youth



Today I felt like a kid again. After tutoring me (math...ugh) Jaimie and me went over to Leah's to check out the Wii. She was sick, I brought her chicken fries. We spent about 45 minutes together just trying to trouble-shoot the Internet stuff. I managed to get it online (sort of)...eventually we gave up and me and Jaimie spent like 3 hours playing Wii Sports.

Bowling, baseball, tennis,golf, and boxing. Bowling ruled!!! There was no other word for it. Playing games were great...the crazy training was even better. Nothing feels better than knocking down 98 pins (and still having a bunch standing I might add). Leah was sick and remained in the background. I asked her a couple of times if she wanted to play, but she didn't feel good (and we were dominating). I feel bad. I didn't mean to ignore her...but the thing is amazing. The controller is intuitive and responsive as hell. My only complaint is that you need a big TV and a big empty room to play it in (there was a couple of near misses). Oh, and I may have hit the TV once (gently). I can see how people could (and have) totally smashed their sets with these controllers. I'm hopeful for Zelda, but I doubt I'll be playing much of it (too long...single player game not at my house...eh).

I love my new XBOX 360...but this thing is beyond belief. My little sister is going to shit a brick (literally) the first time she swats a serve back over the net in tennis. She's going to go insane the first time she gets a strike (in bowling or baseball). I know...because I shat a brick and went insane. The little in game avatar (called a Mii) was customizable...so it looked like me (or a good proximity to me). Shaggy hair, glasses, big pink lips, tall yet chubby torso...it was so cool to see myself, move and have me on the screen react.

The Wii is a temporary fountain of youth (play for 30 mintues and feel 10 years younger...play for an hour or more and then you start to feel OLDER, much...much...much...OLDER). I can barely type this post. My right are is SORE. During boxing my shirt was DRENCHED with sweat and my hair was a wet mop. This system could change the way people think about gaming (as far as being a passive, un-healthy pass time). However, a lot of people are going to have to cut back the amount of gaming they do...or they will harm themselves. Like tennis elbow for video games. I can totally see how people are getting hurt on this thing. Yet, at the same time...the numerous warnings were a bit annoying. "Are you sure you want to keep playing and not stop and take a break?" This message was played a bit too many times for my tastes (I'm an adult damn it!!! I'm break my fucking arm off if I want to!!!).

People who read this blog and don't play video games should find one of these things and try it out. It really is an experience for ALL ages. Truly this is a new direction for home entertainment. Leah, I hope you're feeling better soon (sorry I got you sick)...and I'm sorry we hogged your toy. Maybe someday you'll feel better and actually get to play!!!

No comments: