Tuesday, January 16, 2007

How I Won the War...


Tonight...at 10:30 (or so) I beat CALL OF DUTY 2. It was a long, hard fight. From the icy Russian streets...to the blazing hot sands of Africa...and then finally that horrible uphill battle that was D-Day. I killed me a shite load of Satan spawn known as Nazis.

I think it's funny, in real life I won't even look at a gun...and yet...for 7 hours I killed and maimed. Video games are not real life--that much is obvious. And yet, in the heat of the moment I found myself gleefully mowing guys down. True, I knew it was all fake. I wasn't very scared. I knew my life was not in danger...and yet...something happened to me. Not all the time, maybe two or three times during the entire game...I felt this strange thing overtake me. It was like "fight or flight" times a million. I always wondered how soldiers can do it--kill I mean. But once you do it, it becomes not only easier...but mechanical.

I tell people that it would be impossible for me to do it...but then again...if I was pressed hard enough...and the ball was rolling (like it gets to rolling in the heat of war) I think anyone could be capable of killing lots and lots of people. I know I'm seeing too much into a simple game, but I think the same...mechanism that made me desensitized acts on those in war zones all over the world (in living, breathing real life). The game also made me appreciate how terrible war is, and the courage those young men had back in the '40s.

P.S. I earned 150 "gamer" points for winning the war. And I got an achievement. Beat that Leah.

No comments: