Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Mid-week Slump

Well here it is, Wednesday night. Just got back from my Spanish class (la clase de espanol es muy aburrido). I have my last two papers due tomorrow...I finished editing them today. Which means, that's it! Next week is the last week of class, the following week is finals. Ugh. I'm not looking forward to moving out or going home. I'll miss Leah, UMSL, St. Louis, and my friends (all 2 of you).

Speaking of which, Jimu gave me back a heavily edited copy of "Sea Change" today. That made me very happy (thank you David). I've flipped through it and you did a bang up job. You caught my flubs and fuck-ups...but more importantly you gave me a bunch of stuff to think about. I like that. I've taken three creative writing classes and by far you are the best editor I've ever had. I've got another one lined up for you ("Last Blast" my tale about a gang of punks...out for one last night of trouble). On the writing front, I know I said I'd been sending off "Death for Breakfast" this past weekend, but I lied. I plum forgot and even if I had remembered-I ran out of money (so I couldn't have paid the postage anyway). But I am going to try and get my ass in gear with that little project soon.

Tomorrow me and Leah are going to go and see the movie HOT FUZZ, which if you don't know is a British action/comedy by the guys who did SHAUN OF THE DEAD (which is the funniest horror movie...ever (yes even funnier than ARMY OF DARKNESS, which is pretty damn funny). That should be fun. I guess I'm going to see Reel Big Fish (or is it Real Big Fish?) over at Wash. U on Friday (that's if Leah finds out how we can crash that little shin-dig). Other than that, my weekend is pretty much still up in the air. Today, when I was walking to class in the quad I got all sad...I slowed down and tried to soak it all in. I know that in a month I'll be yearning for these days. The leisure, the non-crappy Security-guardness of it all. Sigh.

Also, I'd like to give a big F-YOU to Sirius Satellite Radio for dropping Podshow--and the coolest podcast ever The Rock and Roll Geekshow. Long live rock.

6 comments:

Dave said...

Wow.

The other editors you've had must really suck. I'll be interested to see what you come up with next, and I'd be more than glad to rip it to shreds and hand it back.

Emailing me the manuscript might be a little quicker, though, for next time.

Jason said...

Well, they DID suck...but the problem in those classes is that everyone else is submitting their work too. And no one wants to dump on anyone because then THEIR stuff will get dumped on.

Your brother cracks me up, though. He kept telling me how you "ripped it to shreds" and you really didn't. You just gave a lot of good, constructive criticism. And that's what I need. He also kept point out my (one) "its" flub...and your comment "OMFG are you sure you're and English major!" I thought it was funny. Didn't hurt my feelings a bit. You tend to get a thick skin when it comes to your writing, if you don't, you'll never let anyone ever read your stuff. Then what?

Yeah, I'll email you my other one today.

Lrgblueeyes said...

Hey :( I give constructive critism tooo

Jason said...

You do, but I think the fact that we are engaged takes some of the teeth out of your commentary. Just like my mum, I can't always trust what you say...lo siento.

Dave said...

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/links/lists/21RobertHinderliter.html

I think the fact that I really liked the story helped. And the fact that I don't like to be unnecessarily cruel. I'll point out the stuff that's wrong, or the things I don't like, but like the section at the end of the play, I'll point out the stuff I love as well.

But if you want me to ratchet up the cruelty, I'll be more than glad to oblige. Y'know. Just to make your skin thick.

Also, was there anything to critique about my editing? Because I can get better at things too :)

Jason said...

Ha! That my friend, is why you are a good editor. You know what you like, what doesn't work for you, and the fact that everything/one needs improvement. No one really NEEDS cruelty, but the constructive help is much appreciated. Check your email soon.