Monday, April 09, 2007

New Story Idea

God bless my boring classes. Just when I think that I'll have nothing to write about, all I have to do is go to class and be bored. Honestly, I don't know what I'm going to do when (and if) I graduate. I guess I'm going to have to take a few classes on the side, here and there, just so I can slack off in them and get story ideas. We were talking about Pynchon today too, so I know I should have been interested...but alas, I wasn't. Rather than talk about THE CRYING OF LOT 49, we got the same exact lecture on Post-Modernism she gave us last semester in American Fiction II. Oh well.

I can't wait to get started on this one...but it'll probably have to wait until later this week (weekend?). We'll see.

On another note, the MPR Song of the Day was Bright Eyes! "Four Winds" it sounded great...I might have to pick up the new album...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We did postmodernism in my American Lit class just last week. I used "Entropy", a Pynchon short story as an example. What does your prof have to say about post-modernism? I'm not certain my community college kids get it or that Pynchon is an example of it.

Dave said...

Did jimu ever give you the copy of sea-change I ripped a new one into?

Jason said...

"Entropy" is the short story that got me into Pynchon last semester! It's a brilliant (and strange) piece of fiction...

"Post-Modernism" is pretty much a buzz word that's overused today. For most people it just means anything newly created. My teacher told us, however, that Post-Modernism is a movement that sprang up in the late 40's/early 50's (and took off in the 60's) that acted as a reaction to Modernism. And that Post-Modernism was basically making fun of Modernism (which took everything very seriously). Plot went out the window, character went out the window...Post-Modernism uses a lot of humor/wit to expose life in the modern world. As far as Pynchon goes, he sure as hell ain't Modernism...so I guess Post-Modernism is about as close as you can get to I.D.-ing him. Interesting stuff, but the theories hardly cover everyone...and when Modernism begins and when it ended is also difficult. Since it's just a bunch of writers...and the change was a natural progression it's kinda dumb to give us exact dates when these movements began and ended...but they do anyway.

NO David. Me, Leah, and Becky have not heard a thing from your brother. All of us have tried to call and have gotten no response. I used to see him every Monday/Wednesday...but with your holdiay I guess he didn't come to school all last week. I'd like to get that from you sometime, though. Is your brother still alive?