Monday, April 23, 2007

My Cafeteria

Well folks, the end of my second school year is nearly upon me. I have ONE semester left, and then I am done with college (for now). It's going to be strange for Fall to show up and not need books/pencils. Anyway, my dorm days ARE coming to an end (three weeks). I can't say that I loved every minute of it, but I am glad that I got a chance to have this experience. With that said, there is one thing I will not miss and that is the food here! Our cafeteria serves decent food (don't get me started on the help).


Jason "enjoys" a roasted potato at the Nosh



Leah munches a chicken wrap...and makes a bird face

But to be honest, the place I find myself eating at the most isn't "The Nosh" as it's called (seriously, that's the name of the cafeteria), but rather St. Louis Bread Company (or BreadCo as it's called out here). You may know it as Panera. That's what it's called everywhere else. I've been to Panera in KC and let me tell you...there isn't much difference. If they didn't force us dorm dwellers to buy meal plans (which is lame) I would have just spent my loan money on BreadCo giftcards. Breakfast, lunch, dinner....BreadCo is great (long as you aren't on Atkins, I guess).

Yesterday, me and Leah were having lunch and I pondered about the origins of BreadCo. Well folks, thanks to the Internet my questions have all been answered. Just hop on this link to Wiki and read away: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panera_Bread

For Leah: 1987 is when it started, the company "went corporate" in 1993. It's local...but in a corporate sort of way (as in, it's the same menu everywhere you go...but it was started here in St. Louis).

This post may seem like an ad for BreadCo, but I can't help it. From now on, whenever I think of BreadCo I think of college (and all those memories). I think it's strange, the things we associate with one another. Also, as I write this I'm really hungry...so that probably has a lot to do with it too.

No comments: