Saturday, April 21, 2007

Of Toni Morrison and Super Mario

So as you can see, the video blog didn't materialize this past week. I got distracted by my XBOX and I had a paper to write. Plus, all I had to talk about was the school shooting...and it was really depressing, so I dragged my feet. I'm sure the world will be fine without a rambling video blog (this week).

I read a really good book this week by Toni Morrison, THE BLUEST EYE, it was called. Read it for my Modern American Fiction class. Never would have read it in a million years had I not been forced. Looks like "chick lit." To make matters worse, Oprah has her name on it. I know, this is the second time one of her girly-girl books has turned out to be really worthwhile, but my brain can't remove the stigma of the Oprah "book club." I'm a snob, I guess. Anyway, it was good...and I know that the 2 people who read this blog don't read books...but if you ever wake up and want to read something you should pick up THE BLUEST EYE. Very good. Like THEIR EYES WERE WATCHING GOD, it's about more than just white/black and male/female dynamics. It's a very human story. Tragic, but nonetheless very good.

I ditched the dorms this weekend, in favor of Leah's house. We've been playing lazy college students all weekend. Watching DVD's and playing "Super Paper Mario" for the Wii (which Leah bought on Friday). The game is awesome, by the way. A mixture of 2-D and 3-D side scrolling. Old school gamers should love it (I do). I'm about 9 hours into it and it's a hoot. Mario goes to this crazy flat world...and teams up with Bowser! I know right? I love it when a bad guy gets to be "the good guy." The more time I spend with the Wii, the more I think it's the best system on the market right now. Sure, the games aren't the best graphically...but I'm having FUN. Remember fun? Gears of War is pretty...and sure, there have been a few moments...but nothing like what's on the Wii. Guitar Hero 2 is about the only non-Wii game that I'm super-involved with right now. If you think it's just kid stuff on Nintendo's new system, you're right...but kids stuff is ALWAYS more fun than adult stuff. Hands down.

I've seen a crap load of movies too. We switched to Blockbuster's internet movie service (I forget the name) and it's allowed us to rent a TON of movies (unlike Netflixs, you can change out your movies at the store...for free, thus every movie they mail you is really 2 movies). This weekend I saw:

CHINATOWN, MY SUPER EX-GIRLFRIEND, CHILDREN OF MEN,CHOCOLAT, BLOOD DIAMOND. And tonight we have SHOPGIRL and THE BREAKUP. So many movies, so little time. Still haven't seen HOT FUZZ, which makes me sad (in a way) but me and Leah got burned out on Thursday (two movies in 4 hours was a bit much). It was fun, though. Maybe this week? (that's if we can get caught up on all the stuff we're supposed to be doing but aren't doing this weekend).

For some reason, my sleep pattern is all messed up. I wake up around 9:30-10:00 like I normally do...but I stay up till like 4:00AM. I'm not even aware of how late it is anymore. I freaked my parents (and my sister) out last night/morning--I called my sister Amber but didn't leave her a message (she didn't pick up). It was about 1:30. I woke up today hearing Leah talking to my folks, they were all worried because I don't normally call them so late. I didn't know it was late. One minute, Leah said she was going to bed, the next I look up from Mario and see that it's 4:30. Oh, "gee, I guess I should try and go to sleep" is all I can think. Next day, I wake up like nothings wrong. Weird.

Tomorrow is a homework day. Yay.

2 comments:

Dave said...

I played some of that Mario game at gamestop t'other day. It's pretty badass, and if I wasn't rapidly heading toward brokesville, it'd be my #1 reason to get a wii.

Jason said...

What you do see, is get a girlfriend with money...