Monday, April 09, 2007

Reason Number 10,000 I Can't Wait to Get My Sorry Ass Out of College

Well AGAINST THE DAY is due back this week...and I'm nowhere near close to being done with it (or even being half way). I picked it up from the library just before Spring Break, and I lost track of it over the long week. I got back last week and have been up to my eyeballs (and everything else) in homework (and such). So I guess I'm not going to finish it (this go-round). I'm about halfway through THE CRYING OF LOT 49, which is really amazingly weird. I can't say that I like it better than VINELAND or AGAINST THE DAY (what little I read). I won't say it's a dissapointment, but it's not everything that I thought it would be.

Paranoia is the theme of LOT 49. That and the postal delivery system! I know, I know...thrilling, right? Oh, but there's stamps too! Seriously, though, it's a mystery novel without a solution I fear. I can't wait until my professor clues me in on what the hell is going on. Anyway, I'm going to have to ask for AGAINST THE DAY for my birthday (that'll be my 24th). Maybe I can read it over the summer.

I can't wait until I'm done with college. I know I'll be working "for real" then, but I can't help but think that I'll be able to catch up a little on my reading list. Over the summer, even when I was working my @$$ off...I got a shite load of reading done. School is alright (I guess) but when you're being forced to read so much (as an English major) it's tough to pick up a book in your spare time. I love books too, but it's hard. I was doing a lot of outside reading (and writing) but I've really dropped off lately. I can't blame Guitar Hero or Wii or whatever...but those distractions don't help.

I'm going to try to do some more writing this week. I had a story going, A GIRL NAMED SQUIB, but it was one of those times where my confidence got the better of me. The 13 pages I have written are good, but I don't see it going anywhere that I want to go (or could go at this stage in my life). It was a little too "movie-of-the-week" for my tastes. Not sure what I'm going to be working on, I'm in a funny mood right now. All the recent violence (GRINDHOUSE, etc.) has me wanting literay blood, but I'm going to try and go the other way. Maybe do something sweeter for Leah. It's tough, coming up with ideas. I want to write, but these things don't always come when I want them too. Plus I have a bunch of stuff that I need to edit (David, I need to get that copy fo SEA CHANGE back from you...I know you have a crap load of edits for me to go through). Fuckin' Mico Word. I need to quit letting it change all my gobble-gook. When I'm writing, I'm just trying to get it out so I tend to have a bunch of messy, ink blotty mistakes. I really do need an editor.

So, if anyone has any story suggestions (and aren't going to sue me) I'll be more than happy to get some input/suggestions (other than finishing that novel from last year Leah). I have a story that's pretty good called THE GOSSAMGER TRUNK that I still need to finish, but I'm kinda out of the moment now. It's been since January since I've worked on it...a lifetime for my little short stories. I also need to get myself out there more, too. Leah bought me a Writer's Market book a while back, I need to put it to good use...this is the month my two contests are announced. I'm not holding my breath. But it would be nice, I need the encouragement...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah getting out of college doesn't always let you catch up on your reading...You work for 8 hours maybe more and if you are lucky you are able to get home with part of your brain in tact. Then again maybe it's different if you find something you actually care about.

Jason said...

True, but when you're an English major that's all you do...so it takes some of the fun out of reading. I work like a dog over the summer, but I don't have to read all the time as part of my job...so reading becomes fun again.

Dave said...

I gave Sea change to Jimu, but you're going to need to either come over here or bug him yourself :)

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.