Thursday, May 10, 2007

Good Bye, Bellerive

Well it's that day--the one I never expected...and the one I didn't want to come. Moving day, the last one. Growing up, all the way into my Junior College years, I never thought I'd live on campus. I always said things like, "Why would you want to live at school?" or "I hate being at school for class...why would I want to live there?" or something stupid. The truth is, I moved out because I wanted to be on my own AND still further my education. I picked St. Louis because it was a CITY, one that I liked and had been to.

Now I call it home. I'm coming back in the fall, this time to stay. Me and Leah are going to get a place together (well, not just us...Rusty is coming too). As one chapter ends, another begins...

I was talking to my mom on the phone tonight, about my first night here in the dorms. It was crazy. I was certain I'd made a horrible mistake. But as time went by, it grew on me. Pretty soon, it was my home away from home.

I'm not sure how long this building has been a dorm, here at UMSL. I know the school has been around since the 1960's...so I'm guessing that it's been at least a few decades. Now I'm the last UMSL student to live in this room. They're converting this dorm building into something else (renting it out for conferences...because adults will pay more than kids).

I can hear them right now, the other kids...they're ripping this place apart. I asked one of them why: "If we can't live here, no one will." I didn't join in, but I understand the sentiment (see my Monday post on "Boys of Summer").

This crazy ride is over, my college days are numbered. What am I going to do? Where am I going to go next?

No comments: