Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Strange Hours


As buzz bands go, no one beats England’s The Horrors when it comes to making a first impression. Looking like they just stepped off the set of a Tim Burton movie, the band’s neo-gothic fashion sense seems to be half the reason they’ve become famous. I hate that. Then again, like The Buggles said, all those years ago, “Video killed the radio star…” Everything is about the “bigger package” these days in music. Without playing one note, just by the way they dress (or don’t dress) bands like The Horrors will have an automatic fan base. All those poor, downtrodden youths, with Mommy’s credit card…ready to head over to the local Hot Topic...

Ugh.

I’m turning into a bitter, jaded rock critic…*shudder* I remember reading nearly the same comments when a little band from New York called The Strokes came onto the scene. People lamented that the band was famous for being loud and dressing pretty. The same thing is happening to The Horrors, whose first album finally arrived on American shores today. I didn’t buy it (despite the fact that it’s dirt cheap at Best Buy ($7.00)...I was a good boy Leah), but if you visit the band’s Myspace page, you can listen to a stream of the entire album.

I decided to give into the hype a few days ago and give the damn thing a listen. For one reason, and one reason alone: I am head-over-heels in love with garage rock. Nothing beats simple, hard charging rock, played by angry young men who don’t give a fuck. Once you get past their black nail polish veneer, what you have is a slightly above average rock band.

STRANGE HOURS opens with the track “Jack the Ripper,” a slow burner about that infamous British killer. The band wastes no time setting the dark tone. Everything you’d expect from a song called “Jack the Ripper” is here: snarling lead vocals, fast then slow then fast again guitars, screaming backing vocals, etc. The song works. But for the most part, I think this song is the “most British” of the album, which is a bit of a disappointment because I prefer my British bands to wear their nationality on their sleeves. These boys don’t even have an accent, which is a real pity.

The rest of the album is pretty good, too. My favorite track is “Horrors Theme” which, along with “Draw Japan” sound like demented circus rides gone berserk—these boys like their organ. And for me, that’s what separates the band from a lot of other garage rock bands. Guitar, bass, drums...organ? “Draw Japan” also has some (strange to say) surf rock qualities about it. This blend of styles and organ coupled with the dark/gloomy subject matter works nicely.

I really liked the gentle, broken record-sound on “Gil Sleeping” it's fantastic. I wished the band did more unconventional “soundscapes” like this. Something about that song—it reminded me of a really cheesy black and white Science-Fiction film from the 1950s. I think that if the whole rock thing doesn’t work out, these boys could make some money doing the soundtracks for direct-to-video horror movies.

I will go on record as saying that “Sheena is a Parasite” is the worst single I’ve ever heard in my life. Sure, the song isn’t terrible by any means…but lead single? The thing that best sums up what your album (and band) are about? I have to disagree with this choice. For me the closest thing to a single is the gothic-surf “Thunderclaps.” But I’m no A&R man…I’m just an unemployed college student, so what do I know?

Anyway, if you like fashion-minded bands like PATD (Panic! At the Disco) and The Strokes, or if you like angry/dark garage rock then you’ll probably dig STRANGE HOURS. If you can’t get past the whole Edward Gorey/Edward Scissor-hands thing…I understand, this band is very much an acquired taste. Overall, though I think once you get past all the make-up and black jeans…The Horrors bring something that is lacking to pop music right now.

Jason gives STRANGE HOURS a "B"

Go check out their Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/thehorrors, and give a listen to "Gil Sleeping" or "Horrors Theme."

No comments: