Monday, May 21, 2007

Wasting Time with "Funny Books"

Well...it turns out I'm not going to work until AFTER this Thursday!!! Apparently my company wants me to go through orientation AGAIN!!! Something about policy changes (last time I went through it was 2003). Even though I didn't have to do this last summer...whatever. I'm sad that I won't be making money this week, but it's cool because I get to attend the Morrissey show on Wednesday night after all.

Also, I'm happy because I have a little project I really wanted to start working on. This past weekend I was in St. Louis visiting Leah (as you know) and we ended up going to the Delmar Loop (really cool strip of Delmar road...lots of nice little shops/places to eat). Well we went to Star Clipper, which is this cool comic book shop (where I picked up the latest issue of Hellboy). Afterwords me and Leah got to talking, and I told her about how a few summers ago I worked on this comic book.

It was great (or so I remember) but I threw it out because...well...it's a comic book AND I can't draw all that well. Plus, I didn't figure anyone would ever want to see it. Yeah, I was stupid. Anyway, it featured these two characters George and Timmy. George is basically me, loser/nerdy guy that always wears Hawaiian print. Timmy was a dinosaur (that may or may not exist). Well, when I told her about it, she got a little excited and said "that's what I want for my birthday! Make me a comic book."

So, that's what I'm doing. I got up and took a walk and by the time my 30 minutes around the block were over--I had the plot. My book is going to be called "George and Timmy RETURN!" Rather than pick up where I left off, I'm going to pretend that the two were off fighting the dreaded "Mutant Martian MoleMen." The new book will pick up with them getting back to Earth (much like Aqua Teen Hunger Force, my "George and Timmy" characters always boasted about doing great things...but all I ever showed them doing were really mundane, everyday type activities). The whole thing is also a (sorta) spoof of the latest Superman movie (get it?).

Thinking that I would encounter "roadblocks" Leah told me that whenever I got stuck, I was supposed to include something she would like. Well...I'm a writer, so I had no trouble coming up with something. HOWEVER, since it is Leah's present, I made my plot revolve around a zebra (she loves zebras). My zebra turns into a monster when it consumes too much french bread pizza.

Yeah.

It's like that.

Here are some early drawing I did today (after BLANK-Guard fucked me over and made we wait almost another week to work...grr...grrr...):




Yes friends, that's a "psychobra" (a psycho zebra).





UPDATE: Just finished coloring the cover, Leah. To be honest though, I feel a bit like Napoleon Dynamite...drawing "Ligers" and such...

3 comments:

Lrgblueeyes said...

List of things I Like:
Zebra's
Puppies ~Rusty
Jason and things Jason Related
Superman
Video/Board/Card games
Suduko
Movies
Music
Books
Animals (Cats, Turtles, Horses, Monkys, Hippos, Bears(Pandas and Honeybears included), Penguins, Elephants, Deer, Ducks, Beluga Whales, Pigs, ect., NOT OPOSSUMS)
Lightningbugs
Tea
Fruit
Bubbletea
Art (Painted, sculped, photographed or drawn)
Nature
Helping People
Cartoons
Creating, Learning, or Making Stuff
Amusement Parks and other Parks
Shopping (Shoes j/k)
Giving Gifts
4400, the Closer, Battlestar Galactica, and Stargate

This is all I can think of at the moment

Jason said...

Thank you for the list of "things you like." Also, I just finished coloring the cover...I should have it posted in a second.

Anonymous said...

psycho-bra?