Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Back in the Kitchen (again)

With the move out coming up, I suddenly realized that I'm going to have to cook A LOT really soon. Sure, Leah is a good cook too...but she might not always be around. Therefore, I've been trying to get back into the habit/practice of making my own food. I also figured out that most of the cookbooks aren't mine...so I'm having to record the recipes I like and use the most.

Tonight I made Chicken Parisian with crisp onion-roasted potatoes. The worst part about potatoes (besides having confusing spelling (for Republicans)), is having to peel them. Ugh. We have two 'tater peelers in my house: a new one and an old one. Guess which one works better? The old one! For some reason, the new one sucks (too much safe plastic...not enough finger slicing metal). I could peel a ton (literally and figuratively) of potatoes in no time at all with the old one. But with that crappy new peeler...ugh...takes all day to just peel half of one. This just goes to show you how important the proper tools can be.

Anyway:

Chicken Parisian~


1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 skinned boneless chicken breast halves
3 tablespoons margarine or butter
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced (about 2 cups)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup dry white wine (I'm not allowed)
2 teaspoons Wylers chicken-flavored instant bullion cubes
2 teaspoons chopped parsley
1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves

Directions:
In a plastic bag, combine flour, paprika, and pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time; shake to coat. In skillet, brown chicken in margarine; remove from pan. In same skillet, add remaining ingredients, simmer 3 minutes. Add chicken; simmer covered 20 minutes or until tender.

Crisp Onion-Roasted Potatoes~


1 envelope Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion soup mix
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup butter or margarine (melted)
1 teaspoon thyme leaves
1 teaspoon marjoram leaves
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 pounds potatoes, cut into quarters

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a shallow baking or roasting pan, thoroughly blend all ingredients except potatoes. Add potatoes and turn to coat thoroughly. Bake, stirring occasionally for 60 minutes or until they are tender. Garnish with parsley.

Easy!

5 comments:

Lrgblueeyes said...

Remember Thanksgiving, I think the new one works just fine

Jason said...

huh? wah?

Jason said...

oh right, the peeler...yeah YOU got it to work. I couldn't though. That old one is badass (I may have to steal it from my folks).

Anonymous said...

Looks good. I may try the potato recipe. One quibble--my family always gives me a "color" score on my meal. You need something bright. :)

Jason said...

You know, it's funny...I tease my Dad about his "beige" meals. But as soon as I'm in the kitchen I do the mono-color thing too. It's really hard to find things that go well together AND add color.

Hence the green beans...