Monday, July 02, 2007

A Big Step (cross yer fingers)

Well today me and Leah went looking for an apartment. I've never done that before...it really sucks!!! Let me first say that Leah worked very hard on this project. She did all kinds of research (phones calls AND interviews). I asked her to pick out five places and then I'd come out and we'd go through them together. So we got up at 9:00 and went to St. Louis Bread Co (bagels) then headed off to our first appointment at 9:45.

Things didn't start off too well for us. The guy stood us up. We got to the place, walked around the neighborhood...it was pretty nice. We called the guy a bunch--never heard from him. So we went to the next place.

And it turned out that Leah had been looking at the wrong property (close address though). We called the lady and she talked us over to the apartment. It was nice, I really liked it (had a sun room and a fire place). I was all set to be like "let's get this, Leah." Then the lady was like "I got a call today and the owner is selling this property...so I don't know if it's actually going to be for rent."

THANKS FOR WASTING OUR TIME LADY!!!

The next place stood us up too. We were really bummed. Then we went to this nice complex off 170 (really close to the Delmar Loop), and I really liked it. The place was nice, the people were friendly, the price was right...so we got an application after the tour. After lunch we filled out the paperwork and took it back to the office. We paid some of the fees...it felt like the right thing to do. I'm very happy. I've never lived anywhere but home and the dorms at UMSL. I've never had a "roommate" that wasn't also my sister. I'm not sure what that's going to be like...but I guess I'll find out.

Anyway, the lady who took our application told us she'd let us know in about 3 days (since one of those days is the 4th of July, I'm guessing it'll be about 4 days). This is a really big step for me personally, and a big step for me and Leah's relationship (yes, I know we are engaged...but for about a year now all that's meant is she had a ring...this is actually changing my DAILY life...it just seems more "real" to me).

Cross your fingers.

3 comments:

Dave said...

It's hard to type words of encouragement with crossed fingers.

Can I just send you good mojo instead?

Also, which complex is it?

Jason said...

Well...I don't really want to say online. We told your brother, so ask him. Sorry, but I don't need any stalkers (any more at least).

How is your bro's new family working out? I wanted to come by this past weekend, but I was super busy/tired. Maybe at the end of the month when I return for ZZ Top (?)

Dave said...

I can understand about not wanting too much personal info on the net, but who's been stalking you?

The new roomies are doing just fine. The 6 yr old is pretty weird, and a little messed up, but not bad. She's got a little adjusting to do, as do we all. The 9 month old is, well, a baby. Walking a little, crying a lot, and not understanding much of anything.

The new lady of the house is doing fine too, learning how we do things, and whatnot.

And I'm planning a post about how I'm coping with all this, which you'll just have to wait for.

Anyway, it's probably a good thing you didn't try to stop by this weekend past, since we were all the heck over, with weddings, and barbecues, and parties and such. Not planned, not usual, it just happened that way.

Next weekend sounds fine, though if Leah is coming too, and she wants to bring Rusty, be aware that the littlest one is slightly afraid of animals of any size. She hasn't been around them much, and doesn't know what to make of them.