Saturday, March 03, 2007

Apples In Stereo In-Store


I swear...this is my last Apples in Stereo post!!! Anyway, I woke up (went to bed around 3:30) and hopped in my car for the Loop. I got to Vintage Vinyl at about 11:45. I wandered around (a dangerous thing for me to do in a record store) while the store people set up the band's little performing area at the back of the store. I had about 10 CD's (well over $100) in my little boy arms...just walking around (saying the famous Leah "WOW!"). Then I remembered self control and put it all back (except a copy of the new Apples Album NEW MAGNETIC WONDER--come on...it came with a free bonus disc!).

The band came out on time (noon) but it took them a half hour to get settled in. They had them set up in the Jazz section, and while Robert the lead singer settled in (he's kind of a prima donna) the rest of the band kept yanking out jazz CD's and saying "Holy crap! I need this" or "Hey don't you collect these guys?" I was surprised at how steeped in jazz those guys were. I figured all they listened to was rock and pop...but then again, why should they? I'm not in a band, and I listen to all sorts of music. Living in the dorms, I've discovered that people that play instruments tend to listen to all sorts of crazy stuff.

Well I was pretty nervous, to be honest. I always read about these stories in Rolling Stone about Guns 'N Roses going ape shit at the sight of a camera. I guess filming is different because there is no flash (which I think would get a little old after a while...I mean who wants to be blinded?). Anyway, I whipped my camera out and filmed three of the 7 or so songs they did. I was really hoping that they'd do the new single "Energy" and they did! I almost got them doing "Go!" from THE WORLD INSIDE THE MOONE but they decided they didn't have enough instruments (this was, after all, a free show in the back of a small-ish record store...they didn't have drums or anything). I thought they did a great job, especially considering that they'd been up all night drinking and playing rock the night before. All I did was watch and I was exhausted!!!

The first clip is the first song they did, "Skyway." It's a great track from the new album:


Later they did "Energy" and I freaked out:



Lastly, they started playing "Green Machine" but realized that they had forgotten it. So they went into "Open Eyes" (which is also from the new album). Good stuff:


Alright, so that's it for my blogs extensive coverage of the Apples visit to St. Louis. I'm currently listening to the new album, and I'm going to write a review...but I'm going to wait until next week. Later, gators!

3 comments:

Jason said...

Wow Jason, that's amazing!!! You are so awesome to post that

Dave said...

Actually, that was pretty darned awesome.

Except for the part where they played the song, and you "freaked out" by listening quietly, and then clapping politely when they had finished.

I was expecting a... less 'white-boy' freakout. Like where the song's so damned good you just have to punch some 11-year-old girl in the face.

Jason said...

Yeah, well that camera does have it's limitations. You can't hear it, because the mike sucks...but I'm actually standing on top of a 15 year old girl...she's screaming her head off during most of the performance...