Monday, March 19, 2007

This World is Full of Crashing Bores...

...so says Morrisey. I think I have to agree, and like him "I am not one of them." I'm not sure exactly what has happened to me...I think I'm turning into an old man. Things that I wouldn't dream about doing, I find myself unable NOT to do. Does that make sense?

Today about 1/3 of my Literature class went into our room a little early. The class before us was over, most of the people had cleared out. The teacher in there is this old guy who usually takes his time leaving. Normally, it's not a big deal. Today, though, he decided to make it a big deal. Now I've been told "Hey, we're not done in here...give us another minute" before. I have no problem with that. This guy lets us sit down, all the sudden he starts yelling at us to be quiet. There's like three or four people left over from his class--they're packing up to go. Their not looking at him. I sit there for a while, letting this guy yell--really yell like the blowhard asshole that he is. Then I get pissed. I tell him that it makes no sense for him to make us quieter by YELLING at us. Every since I was little, I've hated it when people yell at me. This guy pushed that button. He was like "I have this class for another five minutes" (untrue) so I told him that he should have asked us to wait outside if he was still conducting class. Then he tried to explain that his yelling was just his "military" voice. I told him that "My civilian ears don't like your military voice." So he said, "Well then, don't join the military" to which I replied "I won't--that's why I'm in college." I don't think he liked that, because then he wanted to know my name. So I asked him what his was, Mr. Douche bag or something (I didn't really want to know his fucking name, I just thought I'd be coy) then I told him mine. But I had to repeat it for him twice, because unlike him, I didn't feel the need to raise my voice. Idiot.

I sympathize with him, and other teachers, who are forced out of their rooms...but this guy didn't handle himself well at all. But what really pisses me off is that I was the only person unwilling to let a random stranger berate them for nothing! Once again, I think it's because of the age thing (though my two friends in that class are a year older than me). I guess I'm just used to not being treated like a damn kid. We're in college people, they're not supposed to treat you like a puppy any more stupid! I'm really concerned about the general "herd"/"sheep" mentality of most of the people in my age group. I used to wonder how things like the Holocaust could happen...but not anymore. I'm convinced that most people are timid, fearful, little children who not only don't mind being told what to do/think--but I think they actually LIKE IT!! "Please sir, may I have another."

This is really stupid, I know...but once I let this teacher know that: 1. I wasn't rolling over and 2. Held him accountable for his behavior he backed down (like all bullies he fears confrontation). Anyway, once he had all his stuff packed up he came over to where I was sitting and apologized. I told it was alright, and that I wouldn't come into this class until he'd left the room. I can't speak for the other 1/3 of my class...but I respect his right to the room. Just as long as he keeps his tone down, we'll get along just fine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right about the herd mentality. It's a side-effect of how we are "educated."

Jason said...

I guess...it really freaks me out of passive we can be. They keep talking about how aggressive people are, but I don't see it. What I do is, though, are people bending over backwards to avoid conflict. Maybe that's our problem, we try so hard to avoid a fight--and that anger just builds up. We need to let our emotions out slowly over time people, it's healthy...I promise.