Thursday, March 22, 2007

There is weird, and then there is HOLLYWEIRD

Just got off the phone with my mom, the fam (minus me and Amber) are in California for Spring Break. I guess they look Lindsey to DisneyLand (it was cool they say, I wouldn't know..). It's cold and rainy there, which sucks because that's exactly how it is here in St. Louis. Oh well, tomorrow is their beach day, maybe the sun will come out for that?

I guess my mom took my latest short story "Sea Change" onto the plane (for some light reading). I asked her what she thought and she was pretty quiet...a lot of "it was really...strange." So I guess I did my job there, because weird is what I aim for sometimes (most of the time). Having a person driving into LA tell you what you wrote was strange is pretty awesome really. No place has the whole "strange" market cornered like good old HollyWeird (which is how I now refer to the entire giant left-coast). I was a little dissapointed when Leah told me she liked "Sea Change." I was really hoping that she wouldn't "get" it...I guess because I want to be that weird writer on one gets...having mom tell me my story was "*pause* strange *pause*" makes me feel better. I don't even have my dad look at my stuff...I feel like he never really understands (why do you have to us so many curse words...etc.). I don't, by the way. At least, I don't think I do. Not anything above reality (Tarintino movies, for example use a hyper-cussing vocabulary). Anyway, I'm still sad that I don't take vacations with my family any more. I guess I have to start my own family to go on trips.

4 comments:

Lrgblueeyes said...

If it makes you feel any better, Im a psychology major, wierd is my thing. Its what intrests and inspires me so me saing how much I liked it says something about it.

Jason said...

Yeah, I have no idea what I mean...I guess I'm glad SOMEONE didn't like it on the basis that it was "too weird" becuase that's what I was going for. If someone like my mom (bless her) hadn't been turned off and confused, I guess I'd haven't done my job.

Dave said...

I still have yet to see a copy :(

Jason said...

Alright...I'll have to get a copy your way.