Tuesday, March 06, 2007

I think I might be crazy...

At 11:45 I left for the Delmar Loop. I was excited to see how this midnight new CD sale went. I wasn't sure what to expect. I half expected to see the store closed. But, it wasn't. I thought that perhaps I'd be the only person there (besides the clerks). But I wasn't. Vintage Vinyl at mid-night on Tuesday morning is full of freaks. Freaks like me. People who, for whatever reason, want that new CD as soon as it's legal to sell it.

Most of the people (12-20 by my count...people kept moving around and it was late--so that's as good as my counting can be) were there to buy the new Sun Volt album and the new Arcade Fire (which I thought was already out). Most were male, young (20-somethings), and had facial hair of some variety. Yes. There is a pattern.

I picked up the new Albert Hammond Jr. album YOURS TO KEEP and the new Dr. Dog WE ALL BELONG. I got a free Dr. Dog 45 single (and it was on sale Leah). I rushed to my car and put in the YOURS TO KEEP...and it's awesome. SMILEY SMILE-era Beach Boys meets modern garage rock (The Strokes). Great, shiny, sunny day pop. I've listened to 6 of the 12 tracks (counting the two bonus tracks...one of which is a Guided By Voices cover...nice) and already I love it. I'm equally excited about the Dr. Dog CD because what I've heard I liked a lot.

I think I might be crazy. I asked around and only a few people (Mitch) even thought it was a good idea to go. Most kids nowdays don't buy records. They steal them with the help of the internet. I guess that's cool. I mean I am in poverty central here (by choice), by choice the life of a college student is one without...I don't really care too much about what other people think. I may be off my nut, but I love music. It's weird when I meet people who don't even like music...or have any favorites, etc. What the hell is wrong with you people?! I ask that instead of what is wrong with me!!!

Anyway, it was a really cool memory I know I'm going to have. Whenever I listen to this CD I'm going to remember the fun little event I had in picking it up. Over the summer, when I'm in my car driving to some post down in Hellsville or wherever they send me...I'll pop this into my player and smile--and think about the morning I was one of the first.

No comments: